Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any vague idea of how rare these might be? I saw one yesterday,in my travels,but did not handle it. Nickle finish ain't the best(could be an "old renickle?)aftermarket Sile target stocks,and far from "mint". But configuration is definately a 2nd model,from 1908-1940 period. "Standard" 6" bbl. and .38 Special. Wilson & Sutherland just say RARE in any other finish but blued and that makes sense as few,if any, serious target shooters would want the glare & reflection of nickle. No engraving either,as you'd find on a presentation piece. Price is very low,and while I don't really "need" any more of my favorite E/I frames,this piece looked "interesting"! Thanks,Bud

·
Registered
99 Posts
Factory or not, I don't know, but however this one got nickeled, it is really nice, with the duotone finish (dull flutes, top of frame, and underside of trigger guard). Serial number indicates this was 1948:

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
good evening , i have a colt publican from the early 50 stating you could order a officers model special , as with colt all things were possible if you were willing to pay , rj

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've been collecting OMT's and OMM's for some years now, and I don't recall ever seeing one in original nickel. This isn't to say there weren't such things, but I believe they are very rare, if they do exist. I'd look very carefully at one offered to me for sale.

Best,
Bill

·
Registered
794 Posts
kwill1911 that is a great box! Looks to me to be from the 30's. It's a little blurry and I can't quite ID the color for me to be sure.

As nice as that is, the label states it is for an OP (Official Police): the one with fixed sights. These were indeed produced in nickel in some numbers. Your box proves that. The picture posted by Michael Stern and the topic of this post is an OM (Officers Model) Target which has adjustable sights. Basically the same gun but one with fixed sights and the other with adjustable sights.

If you go back to the photo you will see the rear sight on the nickel specimen. I think you probably already knew this but were validating that nickel was a "pre war" option. And you are right that nickel was available as a pre war option. The question remains, was it an option on an OM?

G

·
0 Posts
This may not be directly relevant but here is a poor picture of a pre-war box that shows nickel finish was an option. By the way, I don't have the revolver; just the box.

[This message has been edited by kwill1911 (edited 10-11-2004).]

·
Registered
573 Posts
Another beautiful gun, Michael, as usual. I'd have to pull out the pre-war catalogs to see if Nickel was an option on the OM, but I tend to think it was available, but very scarce. I also seem to recall that a nickel OM was shown on the cover of the CCA's Rampant Colt magazine a few years ago. They are almost too pretty to shoot!

Charlie Flick

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had a chance to examine up close & hands on,the Nickle Officers Model that I mentioned in the post. NOT original nickle,but what I call "a bumper job"(as in rechroming a car bumper). The rampant Colt has all been buffed out,and some other markings too,has timing problems(fixable) and a rough bore;no wonder price was low! Thanks for all the replies. Bud

1 - 9 of 9 Posts