Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had an individual answer an add I had on a python. He stated he wanted the gun and would pay with a cashiers check. The phrases used in his texts was a little suspect. He had stated he was a Corrections officer with the Harris County Sheriffs Office in Houston. I asked for identification and he submitted complete set of credentials, photo, badge, CCW and Texas DL. The check was drawn on a Chicago Bank and was for a thousand more than I was asking for the gun. That confirmed what I thought. I conferred with IA Divison Harrison Co SO, Houston, Texas concerning the credentials. IA confirmed the corrections Officer had lost a set of ID. I conferred with ATF and they confirmed it was a Nigerian run scam. Just passing it on for FYI as he does possess Law Enforcement identification. It could be used for a wide variety of not so pleasant activities.

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
Another one to watch out for is a phone call from the IRS because you must immediately call a certain number to get this straightened out. I never received one from the "IRS" before, so that is new. Oh and the IRS only notifies you by registered mail.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
So, do I have this correct? It's a legit scam, you still have the gun and a bank check for $1K over your asking price? Why not keep the gun, cash the check and send the guy a thank you note? What's he going to do, call the feds?

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
That is a good question. Usually the money order is a fake. My niece was scammed in the a similar way. The person sent a casters check for down payment on an apartment. my niece deposited it into her account, the person changed their mind, and wanted the money back, my niece got a money order and sent it back to the person, the cashier check turned out to be bad and my niece was out of a bunch of money.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Another one to watch out for is a phone call from the IRS because you must immediately call a certain number to get this straightened out. I never received one from the "IRS" before, so that is new. Oh and the IRS only notifies you by registered mail.
Actually They will call you if you owe them money. I found out. Truman

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
You know what they say: "There's a sucker born everyday, and someone to take him"
That's one of the oldest scams; guy send a 1k over the asking price, and asks you to send back his "mistake" of overpaying. Then your out the base price, AND the "extra" 1K.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As to the check, yes, I still have it. He did send a copy of a valid ffl in San Antonio. If anyone thinks the check is valid, I will sell it to you for 50.00. The texts came from a cell phone. His IP address is located in Mt View, Calif. Fed Ex shipped the check overnight from Michigan. ATF says he is probably in Nigeria. Yes, I still have the python. I assure you this guy and many like him will continue this activity. Why not. No consequences, and they only have to hit paydirt every once in a while.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Another one we've been getting lately is a heavy-accented voice saying he is "calling from the United States Government" and that I (or whoever answers) "are one of 1500 people chosen at random to receive a $9000 grant from the United States Government."

Most of the time we hang up. Sometimes it is fun to mess with them. They all vapor-lock when forced to go off script :D

Shouting to my wife (who rolls her eyes) Honey...we won the grant!
Which department?
"The United States Government."
Right. I never applied for a grant.
"Your name was chosen at random by the United States Government"
Who is funding this grant?
"The United States Government"
Right. How much is the grant?
"It is $9000 from the..."
That's not nearly enough!
"It is $9000 from the..."
I understand but its not enough. I need more.
"How much do you need from the ..."
I need at least (insert stupid amount here) to get started.
Silence followed by weak attempt to get me back on script "But this is $9000 from the..."

It is the most fun when they hang up first :cool:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Two incidents come to mind:

1. I have a "spare" cell phone to use for outgoing calls if my other phone is inoperable; most of my calls are made on my "business" cell phone. I started getting voice mails on the spare phone advising that I needed to make up my late payment for something or be turned over for collection and prosecution. Blocking the number didn't help, as the calls came from a variety of area codes and numbers. Finally, one message said I needed to call them back within 24 hours and left a number where they could be reached. I set up call forwarding for incoming calls to go to that number, so they could talk amongst themselves.

2. My wife answered the land line at home and the caller stated we had a problem with our computer and he could talk her through the repairs. Conversation went like this:

caller: Are you seated at your desk?
wife: Yes I am.
caller: Tell me your password as you type into the keyboard.
wife: Keyboard? What's that?
caller: The keyboard of your computer.
wife: I don't have a computer . . . Wait a minute . . . I don't have a phone either . . . how are you even talking to me, is it mental telepathy?
caller hung up

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I get calls- used to any way from the Bombay office of the IRS, all the time- the first time it happened I was so Po'ed! thought it was real ha ha!

Not so much any more, they busted a whole office building full of scammer Indian IRS 'agents" back in Bombay about a year ago.

Since then they are behind in their 'work' lol

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
Yeah, we've had several of those, dumb, annoying, phone calls, having to do with us owing "back taxes" and/or some such nonsense as that! They try to take advantage of people's almost unnatural fear of dealing with the government about anything! By the way, I think you mean certified mail, not registered...

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
I get calls- used to any way from the Bombay office of the IRS, all the time- the first time it happened I was so Po'ed! thought it was real ha ha!

Not so much any more, they busted a whole office building full of scammer Indian IRS 'agents" back in Bombay about a year ago.

Since then they are behind in their 'work' lol
How many 'rupees' did they say you had to send them? :cool::rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
One of the most fun solicitations I ever heard about was from a friend of mine who owns his own business; and spends probably an hour a week just fending off telemarketers. He has a lot of ploys to get his phone number put on the "black list".

One, was when he messed with some outlandish offer of "7 nights" free in one of the places in paradise (??).
He had just been at a "Bad Santa" Christmas party, and ended up with a remote control poo-poo cushion as his Christmas present.... That thing could play flatulence tunes to rival any thing John Phillip Sousa's orchestra ever tried.

Told me, "before I was through "cuttin the cheese" in their ear with a sad voice and a seemingly heart-felt apology, they were nearly begging to get off the line".

"All's fair in scam​ warfare".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts