Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hadn't seen this posted here so I thought I would share it.

https://www.nighthawkcustom.com/pistols/1911s-government/colt-series70

I have one coming in February and I think it looks like an amazing pistol. I do wish it came with a magwell, but if it bothers me enough I can always add one. MSRP is 2599. People that have talked to Nighthawk about sending in one of their own series 70s have been quoted $2k for the work. A few of the pics have the older rollmarks on them, the ones they are currently selling have the current rollmarks. Guncrafter also did a run of these, but while I am a bigger fan of GC guns, I think the nighthawk version is more true to the idea of a classic colt.

DETAILSThe Nighthawk Custom Colt Series 70 offers several functional and aesthetic upgrades to a timeless classic. We have taken the Colt 1911 Classic model and given it an overhaul. An all-new trigger system has been installed with a match grade, solid short trigger, fully machined disconnector, sear, hammer strut, and pin. The rear sight has been replaced with a fully machined retro sight while the front sight features a Nighthawk Custom 14k gold bead. The Colt Series 70 has been outfitted with a retro hammer, Nighthawk Custom beavertail grip safety, mainspring housing, and match barrel bushing. Upgrades such as an ultra hi-cut trigger guard, matching vertical serrations on the front strap and mainspring housing, French border on the slide, and Nighthawk Custom engraved on the dust cover, take an already beautiful firearm to the next level. While not offering a slide-to-frame fit, Nighthawk Custom has upgraded the performance of the Colt Series 70 with a full reliability enhancement and action tune. The performance upgrade began with the flattening and polishing of the breech face. The feed ramp was then machined to the proper dimension before being polished. The barrel was throated and polished while the chamber was reamed and polished. The Colt extractor was polished and tuned before both the Colt ejector and slide stop were adjusted and tuned. The Colt mag release was also tuned and polished for smoother function. A new Nighthawk Custom 17 lb. recoil spring was added, as was a Nighthawk Custom extra power firing pin spring. The mainspring was replaced by a Nighthawk Custom 19 lb. mainspring to complete the action tune. After hand-beveling the edges of the slide, the Colt Series 70 received a custom Smoked Nitride finish to make this pistol a functional work of art.

FEATURES
  • Finish: Smoked Nitride
  • Government size frame and 5" barrel
  • Fully machined retro rear sight
  • Solid gold bead front sight
  • Full reliability enhancement and action tune
  • Fully Machined disconnector, sear, hammer strut, pin
  • Fit and blended NH beavertail grip safety
  • NH flat mainspring housing with vertical serrations
  • NH match grade barrel bushing
  • Fully machined retro hammer
  • French border
  • Nighthawk Custom engraved in script on dust cover
  • Vertical serrations on front strap and mainspring housing
  • Crowned barrel flush with bushing
  • NH match grade, solid short trigger
  • Nighthawk Custom engraved in script on dust cover
  • Completely dehorned for comfortable carry
  • Ultra hi-cut front strap

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,375 Posts
My LGS has a few NightHawks on display and for sale. They are all over $2600. They do not have the Colt/NightHawk.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I like it but $2600? :(
I have two NightHawks 1911 pistols and run one of them hard. Yes they are not cheap, but they worth the price and Nighthawk is great to work with. I received an email from Nighthawk about two weeks introducing this Colt base 1911 with Nighthawks upgrades. I agree with Kingcobb not a bad price.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The one guncrafter did, where they replaced everything but the slide and frame runs over 4k.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I prefer what Bill Wilson did with the iconic classic Beretta 92FS. Encourage BW to tune the 1911.

Reactions: JOG

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
I know I'm going to get criticism for these comments, but here goes:

1. I'm surprised that this didn't include an upgrade to an arched mainspring housing.
2. I have my doubts if there is really $2K worth of additional work in that gun.
3. Does this additional work actually make the gun shoot better, or is it mostly for aesthetic purposes?

I know Colt said that the purpose of the 1911 Classic was to be for customization; but I didn't think that other manufacturers would use it as a base. Then again, at least this ensures that Colt gets some business.

·
Registered
27 Posts

1. I'm surprised that this didn't include an upgrade to an arched mainspring housing.
2. I have my doubts if there is really $2K worth of additional work in that gun.
3. Does this additional work actually make the gun shoot better, or is it mostly for aesthetic purposes?

I know Colt said that the purpose of the 1911 Classic was to be for customization; but I didn't think that other manufacturers would use it as a base. Then again, at least this ensures that Colt gets some business.

No criticism here! I agree. This is tailored for people who want a semi custom 1911, on a Colt & don’t want to wait. Honestly I think the work NH did is far under $1,000 if one was to buy a Colt and send it out to a smith. The majority of the work is cosmetic.

I wouldn’t buy this or the GI version, rather send my gun to a private smith for my build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No criticism here! I agree. This is tailored for people who want a semi custom 1911, on a Colt & don’t want to wait. Honestly I think the work NH did is far under $1,000 if one was to buy a Colt and send it out to a smith. The majority of the work is cosmetic.

I wouldn’t buy this or the GI version, rather send my gun to a private smith for my build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Seriously? I get the gun is not for everyone but less than $1000? NH doesn't publish prices but I can throw some at you:

Smoke Nitride finish-$450. It's a proprietary finish involving melonite, then cerakoting, than hand buffering the finish.

According to colt custom shop-
Enhanced series 70 reliability package-245
Serate front strap-185
Serate msh- 185
Carry Bevel dehorn-135 (cheap most Smith's charge 150 or more)
Flush crown - 95
Fit and blend grip safety(independent of a custom part price)- 260 (evolution armory- colt doesn't list blended grip safety price)
National Match trigger tune-250-same at evo
Match fit barrel bushing-$150-not including price of a nighthawk bushing.
Custom rear sight-colt does fixed Novak's for 120
Gold bead front sight-colt doesn't offer but others offer for-150
Custom hammer-no idea-
French border-150
High cut trigger guard-175

That amalgamation of prices comes out to 2725.

I am not certain on the cost of the finish at 450 as I am only going off what I have seen posted
Also, colts custom shop is fairly cheap compared to most Smith's out there.

If it's not your cup of tea, fine. But don't say it's less than $1000 worth of work.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

1. I'm surprised that this didn't include an upgrade to an arched mainspring housing.arched is more a preference than an actual upgrade.
2. I have my doubts if there is really $2K worth of additional work in that gun. see post above
3. Does this additional work actually make the gun shoot better, or is it mostly for aesthetic purposes? well the match fit bushing would increase accuracy of the drop in barrel significantly, the national match trigger job and reliability package would as well. As for aesthetics, aestheticsare what make the custom semi custom world go round these days. Very few guns need any actual reliability work, and most come from the factory more accurate than 80-90% of shooters are anyway.

Response in quote.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Welcome to the world of semi-customs. Thats cheap.
You've got that right, @Kingcobb! I've had NHC do several 1911s, and all were around 4k each. The Colt-Hawk is a great semi-custom pistol at an attractive price point.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Response in quote.
Okay, I was wrong about the cost of the upgrades.

The finish is interesting... is it supposed to mimic parkerization?

There's no doubt this is a very nice semi-custom gun. Still, that's a lot of money for what amounts to (mostly) aesthetic modifications. But that's my own opinion.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Okay, I was wrong about the cost of the upgrades.

The finish is interesting... is it supposed to mimic parkerization?

There's no doubt this is a very nice semi-custom gun. Still, that's a lot of money for what amounts to (mostly) aesthetic modifications. But that's my own opinion.

On the finish I think it is supposed to be closer to a worn looking blue than parkerizing. Of course its a lot more durable and protective than bluing.

Again, most semi/custom work is about aesthetics, but in this case, arguably 8(front strap and msh serations, match fit bushing, carry bevel, gold bead front sight, custom rear sight, reliabilty package, national match trigger job, and arguably the finish depending on where you come down on aesthetics vs function) of the mods are entirely function related. I mean about the only thing left they could do that wouldn't be aesthetics related would have been a gunsmith fit barrel.

·
Registered
632 Posts
That really is a cool looking gun...but I gotta say, if I were to whip out a $2,600.00 “Semi Custom” 1911 around the crew I shoot with, it had better be one hell of a performer...or I’d be getting laughed off the range by a bunch of guys shooting one hole groups @ 25yds with there RIA’s. Where I come from, looking cool can get you in a whole lot of trouble!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I wish they'd checkered the front strap and MSH. I get that the serrations may lend themselves more to the tone of the build. I just like checkering better. I'm sure they could do that as an option. I'd like to see and feel the smoked nitride finish before passing judgement.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts