Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I shot my brandy new old Python this weekend.
http://www.coltforum.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=34309&an=0&page=1#Post34309

It had a few minor issues that are to be expected with a brand new gun but overall performance seemed fine. I ran 38's some 38+Ps and some full house 357 mags. Felt recoil is way better than my S&W 4" 686 and the gun is accurate even though the sites needed to be adjusted. I am still getting used to the trigger in DA. In single action it is sweet. I don't shoot in single action though so I am hoping that with minor fiddling I can sweeten that DA action up.

Here is the deal though. I have heard from more than one qualified "gun guy" that I should not feed this purdy snake 357s or I am gonna have problems.

Huh!!! ????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

It says 357 plain as day on the barrel. I thought that’s what it was intended to shoot.

I made up some loads just for the gun with that advice in mind and will test them out tonight. Win 357 mag cases with mild (5.5 g power pistol) and wsp primers. I also did a few in the same case/primer with 38+P loads @ 6.5 g power pistol.

So ...myth or fact? 357s or wimpy 38s if I want the gun to stay tight.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Man, shoot them .357s in that Python if you wish too. If it's in good mechanical adjustment it will handle plenty of them before she needs some minor tuneup. Probably wont take as long as a 686 before the need for professional attention arises, but when it does need help get it done early (from COLT's preferably) and it will run with the 686s, past any K frame S&Ws and hot on the heels of a Mod. 27 from what I gather. Sturdy as hell gun with a thoroughbred action. You'll wan't to shoot it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do want to shoot it Rick. Shooting hot mags is a big part of the fun shootin revos for me. That's why I was a bit surprised to hear the "don't soot mags" bs from a couple of gun guys I respect.

It seems sturdy enough and feels way better recoil-wise to me on my end than the 686 with the same loads.

Anyone else with first hand experience and a good reason not to shoot a steady diet of 357 please lay it out for me.
Likewise for those like Rick who say shoot em.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
factory level mag ammo wont hurt it, excessive .38 ammo can build up carbon in frt of the shorter case causing problems when mag length are fired. s&w lovers claim the python action delicate,they are jealous /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifthey will also tell you the saa is built in italy,china,ect.they lie!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif learn to use the s/a feature,it is pure joy on a python.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ic that’s why I'm loading 38 charges in mag cases.
My mag handloads are the equivalent of Remington factory stuff so I’m not over doing it.
I like the Python s/a as mentioned but that is not the way I like to shoot. Proficiency and accuracy in D/A is what I am after.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I don't know why you couldn't shoot factory loads.The factory loads aren't really THAT hot anyway.I don't know if I'd shoot a lot of Black Talons though.I have shot some BT's and they seem a bit on the heavy recoil side.Probably from the heavy bullets they use.Have fun,just don't think you're loading em up for a Ruger Blackhawk and you'll be ok.Keep a check on the screw tightness also.I always do that on any Magnums though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that link Grant. I figgured the "no mags" as bs from the first time I heard it.

Btw my gun has a bit of rotational slop in it. After reading your piece I am assuming that is not correct and should be adusted out. How hard is that to do?

·
Registered
689 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
So I shot my brandy new old Python this weekend.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only falicy I see with using the 357 Mags is the amount of Brandy your trusty Python has prior to the shoot...
LOL

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

Btw my gun has a bit of rotational slop in it. After reading your piece I am assuming that is not correct and should be adusted out. How hard is that to do?

[/ QUOTE ]

for the hand to remove the play you must have the trigger back, as at the instant of fireing.pull the trigger{unloaded gun of course} and ease the hammer forward while still holding trigger to the rear, got any play now?? you may watch how it works by opening the cylinder and cocking the hammer, when you pull the trigger watch the hand, it will rise slightly past lock, this removes the slight play required for the bolt to slip in the bolt lock notch freely. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ic... now I see! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I didn't realize i had to have the trigger back.
It's solid as a rock. Nice!
Shot it some more with my light charge 357 mags and it was stellar. I'll take some full house mags next time I shoot it. Now that my eye is dialed in on the site and I have the site dead on, it is incredably accurate.
Way fun to shoot

1 - 11 of 11 Posts