Colt Forum banner

No box or papers

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  what would you say 
#1 ·
Newbie question here: I'm trying to decide what to buy and I see lots of pistols without boxes and papers. Should I stick to only those with boxes and papers?

#2 ·
regarding colts, original boxes and papers will always make them worth more to many people and better long term investments. but then again many other people don't care.

but the bottom line is buy what you like and can afford, there is no absolute answer.

#3 ·
The original box and papers do add some value, if they are truly original. There are a lot of fake boxes and paperwork out there and one must be vigilant. If I am buying a collector piece, I look for complete sets, but that is the only time. For a shooter, the box has no value for me.

#5 ·
It seems there are a lot of collectors who really like to have the box and papers with a gun.

I typically don't care about box or papers. I care about the condition of the gun and how good it shoots. I have never bought a gun because it had box and papers.

I did buy a few that just happened to have the box and some papers. I saved them just because i know they have some value to someone. I stack them up on a shelf and they will just sit there collecting dust. If I ever sell a gun, I will of course sell it with its box just because i know someone may want it that way.

#6 ·
Always consider the actual hardware first. If it is something you like, then jump on it. You don't have to wait until a museum piece appears with all the original factory packaging to get your hands on some real fine equipment.
I would much rather have the pistol or revolver than the box it shipped in.
Jes' sayin'...

#8 ·
I believe there are two levels of gun buyers occupying this forum. Those that collect, and those that buy to shoot. Now yes, I know the collectors do shoot sometimes, but their main concentration, IMHO, is to seek out collector grade firearms. Whereas, there are a few that "collect" guns for everyday range plinking. I believe I fall in the latter group, while I like to have that unique, untouched, minty special gun, the reality of it is, I enjoy shooting almost everything I buy.

#9 ·
I agree with all the above posts and because I also agree with Ace that there is no absolute answer. Some collector gun models, if you were to find it in mint condition and its rare, that alone would likely be a very desirable and probably expensive gun. Some guns, its just rare and almost any condition, if all original, is very desirable. Others, having the original box and condition is worth quite a bit more than the "shooter grade" or one missing items.
I have my shooters, but I am a bonified collector at heart and have built a collection as such that I am looking mostly for the complete packages in mint condition. But I also know a good deal on the models that I collect, and would buy a lesser item if the price is right. Its just too broad a spectrum to say, such as say.. car collecting.
many of us have many models and Brands as well, not just Colt. My own opinion is that almost any gun not in current production, mint, complete is worth more to somebody that collects them.
The best advice that I read above is to get a book or books on an area if you know what model or models you so desire. These guys and gals know which books to recommend as well. If you want to increase your chances of coming out on top, get photos .. good cell phone photos, anything to post photos and ask questions before you buy. There are alot of fake boxes and labels out there and guns that look good but are refinished and/or have been altered in some way with non original factory or changed grips or parts. That hurts value to a collector, but it may be priced as such too, and still worth it. It's like picking out a spouse. The more blindly you do it and the faster you do it, well .. ya know. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.