Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new shape Colt Cobra 3" bbl. marked COBRA .22 LR CTG. There is no Colt rearing Colt Logo stamped on the left side plate, nor anywhere else on this firearm. Checkered stocks have front and rear facing Rearing Colt medallions but that is it. I haven't had a chance to closely eye any other .22 Cobras. Is this a rarity, oodball or what?? Ser# 1017XX LW puts it in the 1960 range. Thanks for any informative replies....
Henri

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
The only reason I can come up with for no Colt logo on the sideplate would be that it was completely buffed away during a refinish job.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Well, guns have left the factory with mistakes and some folk collect them as such. I have seen the literature on the wrong side, no Colt on frame and mis-marked calibration. I am also sure there were several other mistakes passing through. I also believe that the gun may have been refinished but not by colt since colt would reapply the markings.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am sure that it was never refinished!! It's like new, don't think it has ever been fired! I have collected firearms for over 60 years which includes over 35 vintage Colts. I can assure you that I can detect a reblued or re anodized weapon....... Henri

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good News! Case Solved.... I was informed today that my missing logo Cobra .22lr was purchased when a local Gun Retailer in Oklahoma City died and they sold the contents of the store. It seems that the owner had his own collection of new Colts and S&Ws in his office that missing logos, markings, or placed wrong on the weapon. My Colt along with a S&W came from that collection of firearms. Wow!! Now I guess I'll get a letter on this Lulu!! Henri

1 - 8 of 8 Posts