Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the early 70s when I was a kid I had a hair style very close to this guy's. But since that movie was set in 1980 I guess I was ahead of my time. Those guns are Ruger Single Sixes, by the way. I still have them. Also, my sister is into Wiener dogs so I drew this picture on a little bag I made for her. We were going through a faze where we said "Freindo" after every sentence to each other. But I spelled "Wiener" wrong. Guess I forgot that "I before E" thing. And please, no gun safety lectures. I think, or hope, there's a statute of limitations on that.

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Why, Matt, you're the spitting' image of that fella in the movie. He should get a job as your movie double.

Bud

Back in the early 70s when I was a kid I had a hair style very close to this guy's. But since that movie was set in 1980 I guess I was ahead of my time. Those guns are Ruger Single Sixes, by the way. I still have them. Also, my sister is into Wiener dogs so I drew this picture on a little bag I made for her. We were going through a faze where we said "Freindo" after every sentence to each other. But I spelled "Wiener" wrong. Guess I forgot that "I before E" thing. And please, no gun safety lectures. I think, or hope, there's a statute of limitations on that.

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why, Matt, you're the spitting' image of that fella in the movie. He should get a job as your movie double.

Bud
Thanks, Bud. In the clip JohnnyP posted of the movie, one actor told this guy when he saw the stupid hair, "You're not gonna get laid in three months!". Must be true because neither did I when I had that haircut back then in those dorky early teens.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Watched the movie last night for the 3rd time on Sundance. Great movie. One of the best Tommie Lee Jones movies of all time. I loved his character.

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Watched the movie last night for the 3rd time on Sundance. Great movie. One of the best Tommie Lee Jones movies of all time. I loved his character.
Years later Jeff Bridges basically played the same guy in "Hell Or High Water". And that was just fine with me. Did you get a good look at the rifle Josh Brolin hunts with at the start? It was probably a Remington like the book said, but it looked too modern with a laminated stock as I recall. I'll have to check the gun database on that.
This movie was especially good because there was only dialogue when needed. It trusted the audience to know what each main character was thinking just by looking at their faces. Like Steve McQueen was so good at.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I noticed the rifle as well. Interestingly when he's taking the shot on the antelope he take off his boot to cushion it from the rock it's resting on. Then proceeds to slam it down on the tailgate of the drug laden truck.

·
Registered
961 Posts
For me, Hell or High Water was twice the movie of No Country. We all have our tastes. When I read the book, I pictured Chigur as a very unassuming character. The guy you would not notice in most settings.

As the Coen brothers cast it, Chigur was a comic-book character bad guy. If he walked into any room I was in, we would go from yellow to bright orange in a hurry.

The final scene between Bridges and the surviving brother in HOHW was as good of a "showdown" scene as any Western in the last thirty years (and the first time I recall ever seeing a Colt Burgess in any movie!)

Loved the old pic/comparison, Wyatt. Good stuff!

·
Premium Member
4,680 Posts
I thought that was the best newer movie i've seen since 'Private Ryan'. I really liked Woody Harrelson's character even though he's only around for about 5 minutes. Never heard of 'Hell or High Water'. Is it a newer one? I'll watch it if/when it is on Starz.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
For me, Hell or High Water was twice the movie of No Country. We all have our tastes. When I read the book, I pictured Chigur as a very unassuming character. The guy you would not notice in most settings.

As the Coen brothers cast it, Chigur was a comic-book character bad guy. If he walked into any room I was in, we would go from yellow to bright orange in a hurry.

The final scene between Bridges and the surviving brother in HOHW was as good of a "showdown" scene as any Western in the last thirty years (and the first time I recall ever seeing a Colt Burgess in any movie!)

Loved the old pic/comparison, Wyatt. Good stuff!
Agreed. OUTSTANDING movie!

HOHW was released about a year ago. As a bit of trivia/something to watch out for, the old man at the bank that starts tossing rounds at the brothers as they are driving off is Buck Taylor.
I did not know that!

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR0SDT2GeFg

sicario

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQoqsKoJVDw

Hell Or High Water

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN9PDOoLAfg

Wind River

Three newer movies by Taylor Sheriden a Texan raised on a ranch

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Sheridan.

All three of those movies are good- damn good in fact. I have just about gave up on American movies- full of PC idiot propaganda super hero comic books- and SJW America is bad hog wash.

But the above three films changed my mind- it is still possible to make good American movies with good stories- if you want to.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts