Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most recently, I purchased a Colt Python Elite (4 inch stainless). I wanted a 4 inch blue. Well, the store got one the other day and I was very disappointed. Decided to stay with the 4 inch in stainless. On the surface, it looked alright. Real dark grips and not a bad blue finish. Pulled it out of the bag and opened the cylinder. Then I spotted an irregular, roughly machined grind mark on the inside of the frame by the locking bolt. To add insult to injury Colt QC must have been at holiday parties. Cause the action made a twinging like noise. Sounded like a mainspring in need of a tension ajustment. Made a ringing sound everytime the action was cocked, This is the second bad blued model I've seen. So I'll just have to live with the stainless 4 inch for now. Terrible I tell you. They need some dedicated, pro 2nd people to do final inspections, cause there is only so much you can do with machines. This is not a flame. I saw this with my own eyes.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,888 Posts
The "ringing" Python isn't uncommon.

Depending on who you're talking to, the "ringing" sound is either a symptom of a defective gun, OR a sign of a finely fitted and tuned action.

I've heard it both ways, with some people complaining that their Colt (Not just Pythons) are "ringing" and they, by God want it FIXED.

Others have bragged to me that the factory fitter really did a good job because their Colt has that sought-after "ring" of the perfectly fitted revolver.

In truth, some older Colt's ring and some don't, with no rhyme or reason.
There is NO (ZERO) correlation between "good" or "bad" Colt's that "ring".

As a side note: There's also the same problem with some early Colt Officer's ACP automatic pistols.
When the slide closes, some of them make a "CLINK" or "ringing" sound.
Again, this is not a symptom of anything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I can't convince you that the ringing was abnormal. The noise was such a hollow and loud sound. I could only describe the noise as a clanging ring. Not just loud, it was very loud (like something was loose) behind the side plate/action assembly. The action sounded like it had a broken leaf spring within the frame. So if that can be described as "normal" let it be. However, no one can't convince me that the lateral grinding marks I observed inside the frame are NOT a sign of poor/defective workmanship? Perhaps when the gun was blocked while being machined - the frame was not secure and started to jump out of the fixture while the tooling was running. Just the same, my Stainless has no such problems and that is what I settled for.

[This message has been edited by REBOUNDLEVER (edited 02-02-2004).]

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
dfariswheel is 100% correct, all of my Diamondbacks have a "clink" or "ring" on the second "click", some a little more pronounced than others, but all the triggers are as smooth as silk when they goe into sear. Nothing abnormal here.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY,
JUST IN CASE!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,888 Posts
Not having seen the gun, I'll take your word that something was abnormal with this one.

It happens, even with Python's.

What counts is, You GOT a Python. Hold on to it, you have a legendary firearm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts