Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my .32 Colt Long Colt, New Police/Police positive. The one I just trimmed the barrel on. But the ammo availability is driving me crazy. I don't shoot enough to buy components to reload a few rounds from time to time. I could hone the cylinders out the few thousandths it would take to load .32 S&W longs, but I may ruin it because I only have the most basic tools...so, on advice, I decided to order a cylinder from Numrich. What a mistake that was.
Just got it today and it was a rusty piece of junk. I mean deeply pitted, the cylinders filled with rust and the lines blurred by rust, It looked like a fish tank toy for guppies. Wow, how can anyone make the claim that...all parts are serviceable and in good condition? I had the frame and cylinder all prepared to install the "New cylinder" and it came today. Just put baby back together and poured a glass of wine...to hell with it!
Guess I'll just keep paying $32-$40 dollars a box...when they come up and forget the whole thing. Boy I would really love a cylinder or a good hone job though.
Happy Father's day to all you dads out there and hope yours turns out better than mine has so far. Ah well, my girls are giving me presents so it will all work out in the end. Thanks for letting me rant. Baby's below

Attachments

·
Registered
478 Posts
That's a shame about the cylinder. Nothing worse than planning for some project for a while and then having it fall apart at the last minute. And I hear you on not shooting that cartridge enough to reload for the caliber, but..., For the price you're paying per box, you could probably buy a used single stage setup and necessary components for the price of six or eight boxes of ammo. Just check Craigslist. I have a number of dies that I use only once a year, to load up enough of a single caliber to last me for the rest of the year, or more, on a setup like that.

As far as Father's day, my girls have been making something(s) all week, so I'm looking forward to it (them) Sunday. Enjoy what your girls give you - there's nothing better than daughters!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've spent a little time trying to round up the reload supplies if I went that route. Brass, yeah, OK. The powder and primers, good. Bullets? Well try to find them, or a cheap mold. Heel base you know. Saw a single cavity mold for $179...not cheap for what I need. Then you invest in custom dies, well...you can see where the occasional shoot is leading. Cheaper to buy $30 pre-made.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
How about turning down S&W .32 Long brass. I don't know if that would work or not - or .32 short?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As for Numrich, that was the last cylinder and after seeing it and being told it was a in good condition and useable, I won't buy these kinds of gun parts from them again. Springs, triggers, etc maybe. As to brass, it's no issue, but the bullets are hard to come by. Outside lubed and the same diameter as cylinder and case. S&W do not fit into Colt long/short cylinders, that's why the attempted swap. It's not length, but diameter that is the issue. I may buy that adjustable ream yet. I would have to take the cylinders from .313 to .337. Can't do it in one bite, can only take about 5% at a time. Lots of room for screw ups if you figure 2 passes, times six cylinders. Maybe.

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Hi Merwin2,

Maybe one of the old Ideal "310" Hand Tools would be good? Once you have a Box or so of empty Brass, and, a Mold, and the Dies, you can re-Load anywhere any time, and it would be fun and easy and be a nice compliment to the old Colt.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Merwin2,

Maybe one of the old Ideal "310" Hand Tools would be good? Once you have a Box or so of empty Brass, and, a Mold, and the Dies, you can re-Load anywhere any time, and it would be fun and easy and be a nice compliment to the old Colt.

It may take some time to find all the goodies, but I have never given up altogether on anything. I really want to shoot the .32 longs in this gun, but would rather reload than buy new ammo. I'll let you all know what happens.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Couple of thoughts:

I load 38 and 41 long Colt ammo. Is there a hollow base available? It should obdurate enough to grip the rifling.

Numrich is hit or miss. I've bought 1903 and 1917 rifle parts from them. Some +, some ++, some ---.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Buffalo Arms make .32 Colt short ammo and they make a $135 heel base mold, but I will have to ask if they make bullets because they don't list them. So...I can get brass and everything needed, including dies, but not bullets and not cheap. Dies for the .32 Colt are also expensive. It would take some time to recoup expense, maybe I never would unless I shot the heck out of it. The $30+ cost per box is looking more likely. About a box a year to shoot and two put away is probably about right for an old snub like this one. An adjustable hand hone is less than $20 and lots guts are free...if I have them. It's a risk.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts