Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told Friday that R.L. Wilson is in prison. He screwed someone out of $500,000. Has anyone else heard the same thing or is this a rumor?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Sorry, but it's 'true, I have the press release from the 'District attorneys office' district of Connecticut. I have NO clue as to "How" to put it on or in the 'Forum' as I have it saved in an 'e-mail' on Outlook Express......
If someone want s me to 'e-mail' (forward it) to you , maybe you can 'post it'.

By the way , Larry pleaded (pled) guilty and the sentencing will be in December of this year.

Thanks...................

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Dan for sending this to me. Here's the scoop.

United States Attorney's Office District of Connecticut
Press Release

September 8, 2005 MAN PLEADS GUILTY TO FEDERAL CHARGE RELATING TO ANTIQUE COLT FIREARM DEAL

Kevin J. O'Connor, United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut, announced that ROBERT L. WILSON, age 66, of San Francisco, California, formerly a resident of Hadlyme, Connecticut, waived his right to indictment and pleaded guilty today to wire fraud. United States District Judge Janet Bond Arterton accepted WILSON's plea of guilty this morning in New Haven.

According to documents filed with the Court and statements made in court, WILSON contracted with Antiques and Arts Trading Consultants ("AATC") in December 1999 to sell an antique Colt pistol for an unnamed client of AATC. The selling price of the pistol was to be $500,000 cash from which WILSON would receive a 15 percent commission. WILSON enlisted the services of another person who located a buyer and arranged for the sale of the pistol.

WILSON agreed to accept in trade other antique firearms from the buyer as partial payment for the pistol. On January 15, 2000, the buyer delivered the trade items to the person who had assisted WILSON in arranging the sale. On that date, the buyer also paid WILSON $75,000, which was WILSON's commission on the sale. From February 15, 2000, through July 13, 2000, the buyer paid $195,000, which was the remainder of the purchase price. Although WILSON was then to have remitted the trade items, or their
cash equivalent, and the $195,000 to AATC, he did not. Instead, WILSON today admitted that he disposed of the trade items to pay one of his creditors and used the money he received for his own benefit.

Judge Arterton has scheduled sentencing for December 19, 2005, at which time WILSON faces a maximum term of imprisonment of five years and a fine of up to $250,000.

This case was investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and is being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Calvin B. Kurimai.

·
Registered
532 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Wilson is the son, grandson, and nephew of ministers, with a VERY distinguished career.

People like this don't steal.

[/ QUOTE ]

*ROTFLMAO*

·
Registered
185 Posts
there isn't a reason (maybe in an ironic way); however alot of people gain joy in other people's losses.......its why I see them almost stop on the freeway to stare at someone elses crashed-up car everyday to and from work.

Its not funny.....

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I find this development tragic and disheartening. Mr. Wilson is one of the pillars of the Colt collecting community and I wish him well. Life can be tough sometimes. We also don't know his side of the story.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,900 Posts
Religious people can be quite untrustworthy.
Jim Baker and Jimmy Swaggart as example.

I probably misstated my post.
What I meant was, considering the quality of his family and his personal background, I thought it unlikely such a person would be a crook.

Who knows what personal demons would cause a man like that to throw it all away?.

Needless to say, in the upper levels of the high-end gun collecting world, he's finished forever.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Like many on the Colt Forum I have aquired a number of RL Wilson books over the years for enjoyment/reference. Wilson has also been a presence at various Colt shows I have attended. Sports or entertainment icons who fall from grace, need only issue a tearful apology on Opra or spend a week or two at a Betty Ford rehab clinic and all is forgiven. Mr Wilson's problem is much more serious. A felony conviction for a firearms geek is a career terminator. What a terrible waste.

·
Registered
185 Posts
didn't think you could use "FIREARM GEEK" in a sentence.....its kinda like JUMBO SHRIMP. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
44 Posts
His side of the story ? SAY WHA ? He pleaded guilty to stealing 1/2 million bucks ! .A crooks like him is the worst sort of skel!he should too hard time for this half baked plot!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
He whom is without sin throw the first stone...

Don't judge a man when you're not a judge.

Even the greatest evildo-ers in the history of mankind did things on the side of which many now profit.

Mr. Wilson will probably be convicted for what he did, but I don't think that that will take away his legacy to the coltcollector, being his work as an author on Coltfirearms.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
By the way, does anybady know what gun was involved in this tragic event, I mean a gun with a pricetag of a half a million smacceroonies must be something really special.
Any ideas, anyone?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts