Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase a 1st gen SAA but the trigger guard numbers do not match the the frame and grip frame base. It is actually an earlier part. How do you all think this will affect the value? Thanks

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
That would depend on how the mismatched TG got on that gun. If it was sent back to Colt for repair and they did it, than not much at all if you had a letter from Colt confirming such work. If someone put it on to make it whole, than yes it would affect value.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand it would affect the value, but by how much? Cut it in 1/2 or ?? I just can't seem to find any guns for sale or that have sold with the same issue. Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand it would affect the value, but by how much? Cut it in 1/2 or ?? I just can't seem to find any guns for sale or that have sold with the same issue. Thanks
Or, how bout this. What type of value would you put on this gun knowing it has mismatched numbers? It is in 45 colt.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
If I'm reading those numbers right, the TG # is 1883 the rest are 1888. For what he wants its worth it provided it is in good working order. Does it have 4 clicks when drawing back hammer? Does the cylinder lock up tight when cocked or is there play in it? Any foward to rearward play in cylinder?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It does seem to do what it is supposed to. Still tight with good bore. I really appreciate your input on this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to know. I was just leary of the numbers not matching. I guess I am glad that the guard is of earlier rather than later vintage. I suppose I will pick it up the first of the week. Thanks again.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Be aware that if you plan on shooting it, that's a black powder only firearm. Using smokeless could ruin it and you. But, being a blackpowder frame I would pay the $1300 without thinking too much. It does appear to be refinished but at the asking price, still worth it.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Could this be an 'artillery' model that got reworked and the odds got 2 of the serials back together during reassembly?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Looks like a great gun even without matching numbers. I would pick it up at that price. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
Welcome to the COLT Forum from the Cradle Of Liberty...Pennsylvania !!

Enjoy Our Community Sir... Let's hope that gem is still there when you go for it !!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts