Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nickel Python that gets special cleanup care because of the finish and my questions are:

1. What metal is the inside of the python barrels made of? I might want to treat it a bit more agressively. It's certainly not nickeled, correct?

2. I don't shoot this revolver often (maybe once every 2 months) so am I better off leaving the powder marks on the front of the cylinder alone (and itching all over knowing it's there) or Flitzing it lightly each time to keep up?

Thanks,
Mike

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,430 Posts
The metal inside the barrel is bare carbon steel.
I wouldn't get TOO aggressive, there's really no need to.
If it's leaded up, buy and use a Lewis Lead Remover from Brownell's.

If it's copper fouled, allow the bore to soak with a good bore solvent. Just make sure to keep the solvent wiped off the nickel to prevent possible damage.
Run a soaked patch through the bore, wipe off any on the nickel and let soak for 30 minutes or so. Wet a clean patch and run straight through the bore and out.
If it has blue or green stains from copper fouling, let soak 30 more minutes and run another wet patch.
Continue until clean.

You can use Flitz or a "lead away" cloth, but remember, nickle plating isn't all that durable and the front face of a cylinder takes a beating from blast.
Clean the face too often, and the plating will start to thin or even wear off.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nickel care

I only shoot lead now (in this python) since I learned about copper solvents and nickel. I will definitely get the Lewis Lead Cleaner from Brownells that you mentioned.

I really want to thank everyone for the great advice on this site!

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.