Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this the other day. It's an early S&W New departure in 38 SW. Not a beauty queen, but it works flawlessly. Plus I got 2 full boxes of UMC ammo. Anyone have an idea of the age of this type box? Just curious.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Got this the other day. It's an early S&W New departure in 38 SW. Not a beauty queen, but it works flawlessly. Plus I got 2 full boxes of UMC ammo. Anyone have an idea of the age of this type box? Just curious.
I wouldn't shoot that antique ammo. I am guessing the round-cornered box is 100 years old.

Reactions: MarkInTx

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I guessed it was early last century. It's worth more as a collectible than to shoot I'd think. The revolver is a 1st generation New Departure ca:1888. Best of all there are 2 boxes.

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
~1900 or newer, the guns were proofed for the higher pressures of smokeless powder, and will be ok with new ammo.
Check the serial no. for production year.
There are several of the old 'bicycle guns' in the pile, but none are new enough to feel free with smokeless. I have test fired all of 'em, but that's it. I will cobble up some hand loads for it with something more like BP before I actually do some real shooting with any of 'em.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The first gen was 1887 to 1890. No smokeless. I have several Lemon squeezers and some are after 1900 and I have shot them in SASS side matches. I call them my gambler guns.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I have a box full of old 32 and 38 Breaktop revolvers. Some are S&WS most are other brands. I never gave serious thought to shooting any of them. This is a late 1838 Special order 2 inch gun

View attachment 793123
1838?:oops: Wow. Dan and Horace sure started early! Talk about "ahead of its time."

Love the gun, though. A little jewel for sure. Wish I had it in my little collection.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts