Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is what I think is a neat(1945-46)vintage post war S&W 2-inch snubby! I just acquired this revolver! Tell me your opinions please?:

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Stocks could NOT be numbered to the gun,as they are large "target stocks" that did not come out until the early 1950's.Some S&W collector with a K frame target model,1953-1968,with incorrect grips would just love those diamond targets that are on the gun now!

Can't tell if the gun is round or square butt,and I have even seen a few immediate post war transition pieces,like this one with round butts,with the pre war,non magna grips,that don't cover any of the frame,even a couple in bakelite: Better for concealment.

Great gun,and that "long action" is tough to beat for double action "work".

Bud

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lonewolf:

Although I agree that My M&P most likely didn't ship with the target grips on it-the word I got from someone else, was to send for an S&W letter from Roy Jinks(Just to be sure?)! The suggestion here, was that since S&W had started advertising these target grips in one Ad in 1949, that if my M&P had been shipped around that time(Or a little later?)then, there is a slim possibility, that my M&P could have been shipped with these target grips? If not, then I will at least know from Roy's letter, exactly whay grips were shipped with my M&P(Early service type-or, most likely diamond Magna's(Maybe the transitional diamond Magna's?)?

Yes, I know that Collector's would like to obtain some first edition, diamond target grips, without the ejector star relef cutout(Like mine)for their 1953-1968 S&W target revolvers! The ones on my M&P are really mint, for being 50 years old!

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
seems odd that the condition of the gun matches the condition of the stocks.i belive i would look inside the right stock for a serial, cheaper than a letter.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I do own suche a Smith and wesson M&P with a 2inch barrel.
It seems odd to me that someone order a 2inch for consealment and put such big grips on them.
The revolver looks great.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
your point is well taken. however people do strange things, i knew a small county sherrif who carried a s&w mod 36 j-frame in a duty type holster, with a wide trigger shoe on it.i had a chance to buy it after he passed away but regretably didn`t. he was pretty well know as a scrapper and never used his gun that i know of but cracked quite a few heads, his method was up close and personal and it worked well for him. i guess a larger gun would have been in his way.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Can't tell if the gun is round or square butt

[/ QUOTE ]
Look at the 4th pic and you can see it's a square butt.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Yup,NOW I see the square butt!!

IF gun is in the "S" prefix" serial number range,it was made BEFORE the 1949 intro of the "target grips"(and these were "rare" on K frames at that time-most targets going to the .357 mag.Even many of the "1950" N frame target models in 38/44,44 Special,and .45 acp. were shipped with standard magnas.

If serial# has a "C" prefix,it is a post 1948 gun,and some of these were true "transitionals" with a variety of different front sights(ramp or 1/2 moon) and hammers(old "long" and new "short" from 1948 to around 1950)."Got to use the NOS parts up first", but makes it HARD for later "collectors" to set a date!!! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Bud

·
Registered
87 Posts
Grips not original-I wouldn't bother with a letter.For a snub, I'd get the right size.While your grips will bring very nice money,you'll pay nice money if you want to stick with getting the right size diamond grips too.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Colt38,
That's a gorgeous gun.
Your non-relieved grips, in the condition they appear, are AT LEAST $ 150, probably more to the right buyer.
Replacing them with period-correct magnas shouldn't be difficult on fleaBay, and I would suspect you won't incur any cost greater than what you get if you sell those targets.
Don

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The serial number on my 2-inch M&P is S8441XX.Yes, I realize that the non relieved diamond target grips are quite valuable-and, they are as mint as they look in my pictures! I have some newer Magna's that I can use until I eventually find the correct older vintage diamond magna's for my M&P? I have to admit though, that the diamond target grips feel great in my hand on this 2-inch M&P! If I just decide to shoot this revolver-then, I'd prefer to put grips on it that would cover the front and back of the grip frame! I don't like the idea of putting sweaty hands on nice bluing during shooting!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts