Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting on a new set of buffalo shoes on the Kimber, Tightened just a bit to much and the nut pulled out of the grip side. Is this a local gunsmith fix or do you think it needs to go to Kimber?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,670 Posts
That depends on whether it's the grip screw bushing that's stripped or the frame.

A decent gunsmith can extract the bushing and install a new one, but if the frame is stripped that requires using a special over-sized tap to re-thread the frame and install a special over-sized bushing.
I rather doubt that many local gunsmiths will have the tap, but it can be bought from Brownell's, along with over-size thread bushings to match.

If Kimber will pay shipping charges that would be the way to go, but since you did the damage they might not be willing. Shipping costs can run well over $50. one way.
If the frame is aluminum they probably won't pay.
But if the frame is steel, I'd think there's a chance the bushing was over-stressed at the factory since it would require more torque then just a little to strip either the bushing or the frame.

In any case it costs nothing to contact Kimber. Perhaps just for good customer relations they might agree to send you a shipping label or pickup notice.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Geez, it would seem like you'd crack the bone grip before you'd pull a bushing out of the frame. I wonder if the bushing wasn't threaded correctly initially?
Depends on how the grip panel is made. If the recesses for the screw heads are deep enough, the screw will bottom out against the bushing, instead of the grip. It doesn't matter how hard you tighten the screw, the panel will still be loose.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts