Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - so I picked up a 90% S&W yesterday. It's around 90% condition, so it'll make a great carry rig out in the woods. It's stamped 25-2 and has a s/n that starts with three letters. The barrel is 4" and marked 45 Colt Ctg. My understanding, and hopefully still is, is that it's a .45 long colt gun. Looking around online, I've seen conflicting info that 25-2's are .45acp and 25-5's are .45lc....... Anyone have one of these? info on it?

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
It should be plain ol 45 colt. I have a 25-5 in 45 colt. If it were .45 ACP it would say that. Some pureist type people take umberance at calling a .45 colt a .45 "long" colt. Sortta like a useless double negative. In short it is what it says on the barrel. If not, and it has happened, someone other than the factory altered it.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
If it says .45 Colt - it's as stated above - it will shoot what a lot of people call "Long" Colt - the .45acps are marked as such. I have one in the .45 Colt and just love it. I think you will too.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I have one of each. My -2 is 45 a.c.p. but the -5 is 45 Colt. Can't swear to whether ALL of the -2s were ACPs. Certainly possible somebody somebody who WANTED a 45 Colt had it rebarreled.

·
Registered
687 Posts
25-2 were in 45ACP. 25-5 in 45 Colt. The -2 cylinder is notably shorter, and has a larger "gap" between the rear of the cylinder and the frame in order to accomodate the half or full moon clips. There were a few made in 45 Colt, but would still have the shorter cylinder, where the 255 grain factory Rem. or Win. would just about protrude from the end of the cylinder when inserted, where as the -5 has the same length at the .41 or .44 magnum cylinders.
Also, with the exception of very few, (you could count them on one hand with fingers left over), the -2 came in either 6 or 6.5" barrel length. Also the right side of the barrel should be marked Model of 1955 or in a few cases, Model of 1950. The -5 is marked 45 Colt. If the barrel is marked 45 Colt on your gun, and is a 4", and has the longer cylinder, then it was either a mismark at the factory or someone used a -2 marked frame to make their own.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ok, so I have a follow-up question. What is the history/purpose of the 45 long colt? I looked at it once, and it seemed like an old, underpowered catridge-- but I could have read wrong!!! Love to learn the "true" story if anyone cares to enlighten me

·
Registered
196 Posts
.45 Colt, and sometimes properly called the .45 Long Colt, (I just know I'll get some "chaff" on that comment but I have proof) was intended by the U.S. Army to create a cartridge powerful enough to kill a horse. It will do that as well as a Grizzly. The old black-powder load supposedly shot a 250/255 grain bullet to 900 fps. If loaded to those velocities in modern day .45 Colt it will kill a Grizzly. It is not an underpowered round as its caliber makes it a great killer. Especially so if good bullets, other than the old round-nose are used.

In the Phillipine Insurrection the U. S. Army had gone to a .38 caliber revolver but it lacked the ability to stop drugged up humans (the Moros). So the Army quickly sent out .45 Colt SAAs and New Services and began research into the ultimate Colt M1911 .45 ACP.

In the early (1980's) S&W M25s in .45 Colt they supposedly failed to get the chamber/forcing cone dimensions correct and I have heard several reports of mediocre accuracy. If you to www.smith-wessonforum.com you will learn a LOT about your revolver and its .45 Colt versions. WELL worth the trip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts