Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting this because I know there is a wealth of knowledge here on this forum about many guns not just Colts. Today while I was qualifying some retired guys with their CCW pieces I met an older gentleman. The range that I use is at a friend's house, and there are farms all around the area. The man was a farmer that has lived in the area for quite sometime. He walks over and starts a conversation with me, I had several of my older revolvers out showing them to some of the shooters. The guys says to me, "I thought everybody today carried a Glock"? I smiled and said "not me". " I like older revolvers". He was looking at my 2 1/2 inch DB, I shot the gun today during a friendly bet with another retired cop. The gentleman continues to tell me that he has an old "revolver" that he believes was never shot. He goes on further to say "it is in good condition to". Now he has my attention, so I ask "What kind of revolver is it? He answers "it is a Smith & Wesson"? We go back and forth, and I find out that it is a blued, 4 inch Smith revolver with "diamond" stocks" in the original box. Apparently he got the gun left to him by a relative, and he just put the gun away. He tells me it is chambered in ".32 Winchester centerfire". Now I have never heard this before, so I say "would you be willing to sell the gun"? He comes right back with "sure". I have not seen the gun yet, the guy had to leave before I was done. So, I got his address and I will get down there tomorrow or Thursday to get a model, serial number etc....

My question is .32 Winchester centfire, is that a legit caliber? I am pretty sure I can get this gun at the right price, whatever that might be? The guy insists that this Smith has 5 screws, now he is not a gun guy. He had to have heard that from someone, or perhaps did some research on his own. I will post photos as soon as I get them. I would like to know what I should offer. I do not want to low ball the gentleman, but I do not want to break the bank either. Peace.

Blade

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Hi Blademan.From one revolver guy to another a early congrats.Can't wait to see it.I also learned something new about a 32 caliber.....Mike

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Absolutely Lou, and I had one years and years ago. What a nice comfortable round to shoot also. Great caliber in a Winchester lever action.

Bud

I am posting this because I know there is a wealth of knowledge here on this forum about many guns not just Colts. Today while I was qualifying some retired guys with their CCW pieces I met an older gentleman. The range that I use is at a friend's house, and there are farms all around the area. The man was a farmer that has lived in the area for quite sometime. He walks over and starts a conversation with me, I had several of my older revolvers out showing them to some of the shooters. The guys says to me, "I thought everybody today carried a Glock"? I smiled and said "not me". " I like older revolvers". He was looking at my 2 1/2 inch DB, I shot the gun today during a friendly bet with another retired cop. The gentleman continues to tell me that he has an old "revolver" that he believes was never shot. He goes on further to say "it is in good condition to". Now he has my attention, so I ask "What kind of revolver is it? He answers "it is a Smith & Wesson"? We go back and forth, and I find out that it is a blued, 4 inch Smith revolver with "diamond" stocks" in the original box. Apparently he got the gun left to him by a relative, and he just put the gun away. He tells me it is chambered in ".32 Winchester centerfire". Now I have never heard this before, so I say "would you be willing to sell the gun"? He comes right back with "sure". I have not seen the gun yet, the guy had to leave before I was done. So, I got his address and I will get down there tomorrow or Thursday to get a model, serial number etc....

My question is .32 Winchester centfire, is that a legit caliber? I am pretty sure I can get this gun at the right price, whatever that might be? The guy insists that this Smith has 5 screws, now he is not a gun guy. He had to have heard that from someone, or perhaps did some research on his own. I will post photos as soon as I get them. I would like to know what I should offer. I do not want to low ball the gentleman, but I do not want to break the bank either. Peace.

Blade

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was there many of these Smiths chambered for this round? It just seems odd to me for a 4 inch double action revolver to have that caliber. .38 Colt or .38 S&W I can understand . Maybe when I actually get the gun in my hands I will know for sure what the deal is. Just the fact that it is an old revolver, and is alledged to be in good condition has my interests peaked. Thanks for the info guys I appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
During WW II many security guards at defense plants were armed with a K-framed Smith & Wesson in .32-20 (.32 W.C.F.) not sure if it was the Military & Police Model (pre-Model 10) or the rougher finished Victory Models. I responded to an ad once thinking I might be getting a Colt SAA in .32-20, but found out it was the S&W.

In the early Twentiety Century, the .32-20 rivalled the .38 Special for becoming the police service cartridge.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, the links to the article that Up196 supplied was very good. There were not that many produced(M&P) in that caliber. According to the article production ceased in 1939. How fortunate would that be if I am able to grab a vintage revolver like that? I would love to place a gun like that in my safe. Now I am really amped up to meet this gentleman and actually hold this gun in my hand.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Blademan, As mentioned, the K-Frame S&W .32/20 is a fairly desireable item. They started producing them around the turn of the century as the .32/20 Hand Ejector, then the Model of 1902 thru the Model of 1905 4th change. Target models command a 50%-100% premium. For a LNIB your looking at about 2K-3K

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rusty,
thanks I just got off the phone with the gentleman who owns the gun. I asked him some more questions, and I have a little better description of the revolver. It has the "victory" style stocks, it appears to be a M&P(model10). Serial number is 98120. Case coloring on the hammer and trigger. Is there a site I can check the serial number to date of manufacture? Thanks for all the help guys.

Lou

·
Registered
833 Posts
98120 would be a Model 1905, 4th Change.-- Book says Ser. #'s in this model are 65701-144684. The years of manufacture are 1915-1940. The stocks would appear like "Victory" one's. Wood, with the typical S&W hump on the top. The S&W Standard Catalog shows as .32/20 Winchester Hand Ejector 1899-1940

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you sir. I know condition is key for an estimate on value. In LNIB condition what would be a fair price for this revolver? Thanks.

Lou

98120 would be a Model 1905, 4th Change.-- Book says Ser. #'s in this model are 65701-144684. The years of manufacture are 1915-1940. The stocks would appear like "Victory" one's. Wood, with the typical S&W hump on the top. The S&W Standard Catalog shows as .32/20 Winchester Hand Ejector 1899-1940

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well the old gentleman was very nice but I doubt this gun is going to be "pristine" as he kept saying. So, I am gearing for 90%-95% on the condition of the gun , and stocks.

If it's truly NIB,( & I think this would be in the picture box range)--Fixed Sights +- 2K---Target Model--3K+

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Absolutely Lou, and I had one years and years ago. What a nice comfortable round to shoot also. Great caliber in a Winchester lever action.
Never shot a revolver with 32-20 but once owned a Marlin 27 (Pump rifle) in that caliber. Really enjoyed shooting it. Expensive ammo.

For those of you who have shot both 32 New Police in a revolver, and 32-20 in a revolver, how they compare with each other?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I hope the gun is as nice as the guy described it. I am still doing some research on a value. I am seeing ranges from $250-$750 depending on condition etc.... Like I said I do not want to short change the gentleman. But I do not want to over pay either. Thanks for all of the responses, and information. Lou

1 - 20 of 22 Posts