Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my New Agent the Finger Clearance cuts are not the same. On right side the cut is shallower and smaller. Not a problem at all, AWESOME pistol. Has anyone ever noticed this on another 1911 pistol before. Happy Thanksgiving.

agent 1.JPG agent 2.JPG

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Maybe it will be worth more like coins with errors. I would have had it 100 years without noticing it!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I don't really think it should be that way. I'd think quality control goals would seek consistency in the cutouts on each side. I'm just enough OCD it would bug me. So I don't think you're wrong to question it. I'd probably be asking Colt about it. They aren't exactly giving them away.

·
Registered
327 Posts
The photos are not identical in perspective. The visual distortion is apparent.

Measure them and see what the quantifiable results are.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Maybe a better perspective:

a3.JPG a4.JPG

Cut on left is a little shallower and not as wide. I am beginning to think this is a non issue. Just curious if others have ever seen this on one of their 1911's ?

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
My Combat Elite I've had since the early '90s has an inconsistent milling cut in that area. The pistol is completely reliable and very accurate so I simply overlook that. At a US Secret Service match that used to be held at their training facility outside DC I showed it to the Colt rep that was there and he said it never should have been allowed out of the factory like that.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My Combat Elite I've had since the early '90s has an inconsistent milling cut in that area. The pistol is completely reliable and very accurate so I simply overlook that. At a US Secret Service match that used to be held at their training facility outside DC I showed it to the Colt rep that was there and he said it never should have been allowed out of the factory like that.

My bet would be that this has happened from Colt on more then a few ocasions. Look at how strange the cut is on this pistol at Colts web sight. https://www.colt.com/Catalog/Pistols/Gold-Cup-Series

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I think the mere fact that the OP started a thread over the issue is proof enough that it IS a quality control issue. Our eyes are naturally drawn to flaws, defects and inconsistencies in appearance. Now that he has seen the difference, he can't undo that.

It doesn't make the pistol defective, per se, but does show sloppiness, in my opinion. I can't say what the standards or specs are for milling the cuts, but surely they are the same for each side. Minor differences would not be detected by the eye; they'd have to be gauged. I'd think quality control would at least require the same appearance.

But because the cuts are not on the same side of the pistol, they think it's alright? But at this point, it's like trying to put the mustard back in the container through the squeeze nozzle. Once you see it, it will always be in the back of your mind.

I own military pistols that have a cut on one side and not the other, or one side grossly under cut. I own them as examples of flaws...just to show how things got through inspection during the war. I even have one M1911A1 that failed to have cuts milled on BOTH sides. These guns show rushed production, distractions, poor quality control, poor workmanship, etc. on pieces manufactured during the war. They are conversation pieces...anomalies...things that don't fit the mold.

This commercial production pistol has turned into a conversation piece, too. :)

·
Registered
622 Posts
Snidely,

It's only a clearance cut............I think that colt Rep was just smoozin' you .................

Tom

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'm left handed so we have to get used to all kinds of stuff being wrong. Safety on the wrong side, magazine release. I frankly find that cutout to be hardly worth mentioning.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Speaking of quality control issues from Colt, I received a Colt 100th Anniversary 1911 Tier III missing a front sight. A front sight!!! How in the hell did it make it out of Colt without a front sight!?!

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
That's crazy. I hope you sent it back to them. WOW!
Speaking of quality control issues from Colt, I received a Colt 100th Anniversary 1911 Tier III missing a front sight. A front sight!!! How in the hell did it make it out of Colt without a front sight!?!

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hell, I got an M1911 'Carbonia' model with a missing 'Gilbert' inspection stamp. mis-machined slide serrations and a scarred, mis-machined dust cover.

Returned it for the 'Lifetime Warranty' that they did not want to perform - they eventually re-stamped it and refinished it but never looked at the slide, so it went back.

A long e-fight with a Customer Service ********** who acted like it was 'my' fault eventually led to linking up with Joe Canali, who handed it to Brent Turchi, who made it right by swapping out the slide.

That was my 'last' new Colt.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I guess I am very lucky that this is such a, "No big deal" of a problem. I too have played the send back to Colt game. Just never seems to work out just right. They seem to fix the problem while messing something else up so many times. No way am I going to risk sending this pistol back over the slight differences in the finger clearance cuts. Heck, it took over two years for me to notice it in the first place.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts