Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked this up a bit ago at a lgs. When I first seen it in the case I was a little confused by it. I looked at the tag and it was listed as a 686. Well, obviously it doesn't appear to be. I asked to see it and yes, it was marked as a 686 on the crane. Apparently this was modified some time ago by some gunsmith (have yet to identify who) into a 5 shot 44 special. It is a pretty sweet little pistol, and shoots very well. About the only thing I do not like about it is the magnaporting. Why anyone would magnaport a 4" L frame SS pistol in 44 special is lost to me, but I can live with that part. BTW, it came in a 696 case :D

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Very interesting chaos. The shape of that barrel doesn't resemble a typical Smith contour. You don't suppose someone machined down a magnaported .44 Mag barrel and restamped it do you? Then used a 696 cylinder to complete the project perhaps?

·
Registered
93 Posts
That is an interesting piece, It looks like someone turned down a 624 Barrel to fit the L frame, and used a 696 cylinder to finish it. Considering the prices 696's are bringing nowdays I hope it was done a while ago, but I would love to have one

·
Registered
VIGILANT CURMUDGEON
157 Posts
That surely is a rarity for a smithing on a "Smith".How does it shoot? (Since the bbl. had to be fitted and reset)Any trigger work, on it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts