Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that Winchester is coming out with a 1873 Model Rifle. If you can get past the "Made in Japan", it's a really great looking rifle.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
B-50.I got over that a long time ago as there have been some fine firearms made in Japan.Is it coming out under the Winchester name or is Browning having it remade for Winchester?D*

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
B-50.I got over that a long time ago as there have been some fine firearms made in Japan.Is it coming out under the Winchester name or is Browning having it remade for Winchester?D*
D*:
From what I can tell from the magazine "Shooting Times" it's coming out as Winchester, with "Winchester 1873" on the tang.
Can be had with either case colored or blued receiver/frame. Tang tapped for a Marble / Lyman peep-sight. Only available in .38 special or .357 magnum
The magazines always have beautiful pictures for their reviews, but as you know, the received rifle will surely vary.
The bluing looks exceptional on the one they had to evaluate.
Also...I didn't mean that the "Japan" had anything wrong, but alot of folks think it looks kinda tacky on the barrel
MSRP: $1299 for blued, and $1579 for casehardened

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
D*:From what I can tell from the magazine "Shooting Times" it's coming out as Winchester, with "Winchester 1873" on the tang.Can be had with either case colored or blued receiver/frame. Tang tapped for a Marble / Lyman peep-sight. Only available in .38 special or .357 magnumThe magazines always have beautiful pictures for their reviews, but as you know, the received rifle will surely vary.The bluing looks exceptional on the one they had to evaluate.Also...I didn't mean that the "Japan" had anything wrong, but alot of folks think it looks kinda tacky on the barrelMSRP: $1299 for blued, and $1579 for casehardened
I have one of the recent Model 1892s and a recent 1895. Both are beautifully made. My only beef with the Model '92 is that it's 357 but not designed to handle 38 special.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have one of the recent Model 1892s and a recent 1895. Both are beautifully made. My only beef with the Model '92 is that it's 357 but not designed to handle 38 special.
What...? Is it that there's too much head space?
My brother has a Winchester (or Browning, not sure) Highwall & a 1892, both made in Japan, and they work and look great.

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
What...? Is it that there's too much head space?My brother has a Winchester (or Browning, not sure) Highwall & a 1892, both made in Japan, and they work and look great.
I haven't actually tried to feed it 38. The Winchester website mentions that the '73 will accept 38s, but it doesn't mention it in the '92 description. Is your brother using 38s in his '92?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts