Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vz54, ssg 82, and finn 28-76.
The ssg is east german. I have read 600 were imported without modification and sold by Century Arms. This rifle has a 4x Zeiss jenner scope, numbered to the rifle, from the zeiss factory captured when the Russians over ran Berlin at the end of WWII. The barrel is hammer forged, and the entire length is dimpled.

The finn is built on a mosin action, and a mod 28 barrel. Its a " marksman" rifle and was used for training and prone matches until upgraded by the finns and retired. Supposedly, 1000 of these were imported. Some had scope mounts, some not. Some are chambered for the 7.62x54 r round, and other left for the 7.62x53 r finn round. Wise to slug the barrel to learn the exact size. They are supposed to have been assembled in 1976, thus the designation, but some have undated barrels, as does this one, probably meaning the barrel came from a mod 39 kept in storage and likely new.

The VZ 54 is also built on a mosin action, and over about 2 years, very limited numbers were built. It has a scope mount on the left side, and alas, i do not have a scope ( low power), but keep looking for one. Don't know that it shows in the photos, but the stock has a beautiful color, maybe a combo of the wood and some tar staining? It has a long barrel. All, in all, this is a rifle of extremely graceful lines, and i have shot it occassionaly using std surplus ammo. I carefully neutralize the salts from the primers after shooting this.

I have had these rifles for 7-8 years and have not seen the ssg 82 or the vz54 on the market in the last sevevral years. Once in a while a 28-76 shows up.

These are all military rifles, but each shows a considerable amount of fitting, bedding, trigger work and strong effort to make them accurate shooters formtheir intended purposes. For a while i collected finn mod 39 rifles, with only approx 100k made, and each seemed to exhibit a certain amount of attention to howmit was reassembled using russian receivers and finn parts. The 28-76 is even more so. Anyway.... IMG_0041.JPG IMG_0045.JPG IMG_0046.JPG IMG_0047.JPG

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
Interesting looking rifles. Is the one on the right have its original stock. I looks really different.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Wolfcoin. Yes, that is the original stock for this rifle. Similar to the british L4A1 sniper rifle. Maybe the 2 are of similar vintage...1950s.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts