Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have been a casual member for 2 or 3 yrs. Just saw this section and thought I'd say hello.

I am 41 and have been doing casual target shooting and collecting since I was 11 and my dad 1st took me to the range. I bought my 1st revolver, a H&R .32 top break at about 12 or 13 for $25 at the Allentown PA show, still have it:eek:. For yrs. my dad and I would go there at least once a yr. as well as other show within a 3 hr. drive from our No Jersey home.

Dad loved SAA's and built himself a nice modest collection of them and other things of the Indian War era. I stuck to just some modern stuff up until just a few yrs. ago when I started collecting early D frames and a few other Dbl action Colts. I do have some modern stuff that I take to the range more often but I do shoot some of the older stuff now and then.

These days I drive a tractor trailer for UPS around New England and have very fond memories of hrs. spent with my father hand loading both Black and Smokeless ammo and heading to the range as often as I could get him to take me. The memories of our trips to Allentown are my most cherished now that my father has passed. When I walk in the doors of that hall I just feel at home. We met many great people there over the yrs. who my dad bought and traded SAA's with. Some real nice, Humble and honest folks sit behind some of those tables. I remember that place with no AC and full of Cigar smoke.

Dad left me a nice collection and a great respect for the old iron as well as a love for most things gun related. The only thing that may ever get me to part with any of his prized pieces will be College for my kids.....I know he would be ok with that if the day ever comes. And his collection should cover it for both my kids if need be.

Thanks Dad. XOXO:rolleyes:

· Registered
3,564 Posts
Neat story, Chip. The kind I Iike to see. I'd say "Welcome" but you've been here a lot longer than me. Please don't be so shy from now on, OK?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.