Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a good friend in the gun business and he has heard the roomers that Colt will be making a Python. And recently this photo shows up from Colt when he logs in to a distributor who sell Colts. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
I hope so!! I want a Python for a shooter! :D

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
The fact that the Double Eagle is featured in that photo scotches this rumor for me. Nothing wrong with the Double Eagle as far as I know. I've never shot one. But the fact that it's featured is a clue that the photo was made more than a little while ago.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I can't read it on my monitor, but what's the serial number on the 1911. If it's a current image, it's likely that Colt would use a recent production pistol.

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
doubtful on the double eagle

It must be an old file photo. The single action/double action trigger is about dead in LEO circles even though the military still uses the B92. Can't imagine Colt bringing it back.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I really like threads like these....until you look at it logically. Colt cannot keep up with production of 1911 type pistols or SAA type pistols. Try going to your local shop and asking them how soon you can get a certain model. Also read threads of how it takes 10 months to get a Python refinished. So with all these limited resources how would Colt expect to actually produce a new Python? I think I have read here on this forum that Colt has only a few people qualified to work on Pythons or do the refinishing, so what, an average worker could maybe produce 2-3 guns a day? Multiply that by, what, four or so workers? So we have 10-12 guns produced a day, 45 weeks a year to allow for vacations and such? With a small percentage of hand fitting that a Python requires, a SAA takes about 18-24 months to arrive if you order it today. I would guess that would make a new Python about a 2 DECADE wait. Don't think that would sit very well with most shooters. Heck you could order one on your kid's 1st birthday and it should arrive in time for their 21st birthday!
I personally think the days of most DA revolvers are very limited. I am a S&W fan and have not bought a gun that was manufactured after 1985. They just don't have the feel or the quality of the old ones. The same with Colt. I would buy a new SAA or a new government model, but probably nothing else they offer. As much as I would like to be able to buy a new Python or Detective Special, I think the chances of that ever happening are about the same as S&W reintroducing the Registered Magnum exactly as it was produced in 1935.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I think the Colt Forum moderators should create a new category on the main forum page titled "Colt to Begin Making Pythons Again". Clearly there will be enough traffic to sustain it since it comes up about every two weeks despite all evidence and common sense to the contrary.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I actually would prefer they bring back the king cobra. Have you checked those prices lately? Or how about this, a detective special size gun in 327 federal? Look at what the Ruger LCR is doing. But I agree the odds are slim....limited workforce already behind with the orders they have. (Although...the mustang and New Frontier came back).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts