·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: cycletrash

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Marilyn and Her Husband...Were co owners along with Bob Irwin of the "Survival Store" in Las Vegas. When Marilyn and Her Hubby wanted out, Bob Irwin bought the rights and moved the store to E. Tropicana and changed the name to "THE GUN STORE". It's still there and Bob still owns it. Bob is sometimes embarrassed about his relationship with her, but was always nice when she would call or came by.

Some of the stories that came out of there: Sammy Davis Jr. was a frequent visitor...NOT to just buy guns either, but always left with a smile on his face.:rolleyes:

NOW how do I know this ? Well in the attached picture and bordered with arrow on the left side, is the very rare store pin. I was a Manager and Licensed State Firearms Instructor at the place for 8 years before health forced me out.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Gosh Kid...

Oh my!

We might have met then!

Ohhh, golly, fun memories...I used to go there ( 'The Survival Store' ) a fair amount back in the mid 1980s and on, before they moved down more South to Tropicana or whatever. I built some Cabinets for them for storing 'Bo's and other Posters.

They used to be just North of Spring Mountain Road near Bearing Belt and Chain, on a side street...always had those big rubber 'Testicles' hanging from their Truck's differentials.

Say, where is Bill Mains these days? He used to be down off Valley View just up a little ways from Spring Mountain Road...one day I went to see him and I could not find his place anymore, so, seemed like he was gone or moved.

·
Registered
713 Posts
So, are you saying this gun has had a throat job? 11 or 12 degrees?

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Gosh Kid...

Oh my!

We might have met then!

Ohhh, golly, fun memories...I used to go there ( 'The Survival Store' ) a fair amount back in the mid 1980s and on, before they moved down more South to Tropicana or whatever. I built some Cabinets for them for storing 'Bo's and other Posters.

They used to be just North of Spring Mountain Road near Bearing Belt and Chain, on a side street...always had those big rubber 'Testicles' hanging from their Truck's differentials.

Say, where is Bill Mains these days? He used to be down off Valley View just up a little ways from Spring Mountain Road...one day I went to see him and I could not find his place anymore, so, seemed like he was gone or moved.

I am not sure where Bill got off to...He never came by the New Store Location, and Tony Dee. "The Godfather", still does teaching for Bob. In fact you will see Tony pop up on the "Pawn Stars" ever so often as an Old Gun Expert.

Try This for Bill: Bill Mains Gun Engraver | Custom Gun and Accessory Engraving by Bill Mains

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Kid", thanks for the all the interesting background history. I didn't know...

·
Premium Member
4,666 Posts
A while back on GB, they had a John Holmes Python. No engraving or paperwork of any kind, but the ultra-rare 12 inch barrel was a dead giveaway......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
I am not sure where Bill got off to...He never came by the New Store Location, and Tony Dee. "The Godfather", still does teaching for Bob. In fact you will see Tony pop up on the "Pawn Stars" ever so often as an Old Gun Expert.

Try This for Bill: Bill Mains Gun Engraver | Custom Gun and Accessory Engraving by Bill Mains

Ahhh, thanks Kid Sopris....looks like Bill Mains moved off to Indianna!

Can't blame him I guess.

'Pawn Stars' is a few blocks away from me here. Just down the Street a little from what used to be 'The British Bull Dog' ( which had been a nice Pub back when ).

I did not know about it, since I do not watch TV, but, various people I know across the Country, kept asking me about it.

I used to buy things from that Pawnshop back in the 1980s and 1990s. I forget the name of the older guy I used to sort of know there, but, maybe that is him... he was always alright with me, never any jive or BS if I wanted to buy something, he always gave me good deals, and it was an okay place all tolled. He bought a lot of stuff from me also, since I tended to a runneth-over-cup of all sorts of old stuff of the kinds I liked.

I bought a low serial No. Colt 'New Army' from them sometime in the mid '90s, and, I have not seen it in years now...not sure if one of my exes made off with it maybe.

Used to be a lot of alright-enough Pawn Shops Downtown in those days, which had old or older Guns and other interesting old things.

Uhhhh, what was that Gunstore on Maryland Parkway, just South a little from Charleston? On the right...ummm "Sportman's Paradise" maybe? - anyway, that guy always had lots of New services, Triple-Lock S&Ws and old 1911s and other...was always fun stopping in there to look.

And there was that Black Powder 'Mountain Man' sort of Gun Store on Main Street, right next to 5th St. Liquors...the Potter Brothers. "Possibles Shop" I think it was called.

Man, everything sure dried up in this Town, far as places worth bothering to stop by and visit! Lol...

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
"The British Bull Dog"? Was that named after the revolver? Great name for a pub :)
Just a co-incidence I think.

They were nice people though and it was a nice place.

No Juke Box or canned Music, no videopoker, an old Upright Piano against one wall...good British Food, good British Beer, Dartboard, and, an all round class joint, 'solid', and with no pretentions.

I lost an old 1920s Cigarette Lighter in one of the Booths one time...next day, I stopped in and asked the Manager if they happened to have one in their 'Lost and Found Drawer'. They asked me to describe it, which I did, and, they opened the drawer and handed it to me. They went on to say, they had seen an employee using it, had thought it odd the employee in question would suddenly have a fine old Lighter, the employee mentioned finding it in the Booth Seat, and, they fired the employee on the spot for not having handed it in.

It was a really good place.

At some point they sold it to some other English people who were criminals and low lifes, and not cut from the same Cloth at all, and, the name changed then to "Mad Dogs and Englishmen", and, it all changed, and it stumbled on for a few years, then closed...and the old Building is still sitting dead and boarded up.

I built the Wedding Chapel side of the Pub for the 'criminal' guys, and, they were kind of fun in their way, if a little dangerous and impetuous and shallow and emotionally undeveloped and or liable to flights of violence or brooding and so on...every now and then some poor pilgrim would get his cheek bones caved in from fists, but, they payed me for my work in a timely fashion, showing about the same Joy as if haveing a 'Root Canal' procedure done, and, all in all we got along alright and I was a good customer for their Pub far as stopping by now and then for a Beer and a Bite or just-a-bite, and to say a cheerful 'Hello!'...so...wacky old world.

But, it ended up being kind of a 'Snake Pit' though...which is shame...seeing as it began as something so truely nice and civil and wholesome.

But...now that I think of it, sometime in the early 1990s when it was still 'The British Bullldog' proper, I did in fact CCW my actual Webley 'British Bull Dog' in .450 Adams, enthused in having just got it and all, just serendipitously brought it along as a 'back up' to my usual carry of the time, so, had it on me while having a meal ( but no alcohol when CCW-ing for this child ) there...so, that is kind of fun now that I savor it a moment.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think the price is $1000.00 to high. I would pay $500ish for this fine firearm and hold it close and just imagine where it might have been. My hat's off to Marilyn Chambers, RIP. Classy Lady, good for her and her independence. I did a Wikipedia search on her and she was a pioneer. She got 10% of proceeds from her first film and had every one in the flick VD tested. She was a smart Cookie!
BTW she also was the Ivory Snow soap girl-COOL!:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts