Colt Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
I don't have any info, but I do own 122324. It's not an NRA gun, it's provenance is that my great granddad brought it back from Europe after WWII. He was in the 45th Infantry out of OK.

·
Banned
74 Posts
All of the ones I have seen are somewhat different, not just in the font but the periods after each initial and the relative placement of the stampings.

I would consider this legit until proven otherwise.

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
The additional pistols shown exhibit the square ends of the letters, while the blowup of the original pistol appears to show rounded ends. Maybe a closeup of the marking would clear things up.

The original N.R.A. marking was hand applied, and will show slight variations due to force, alignment, and positioning of the die.
Exactly. There can be inconsistencies in anything that requires the human touch. Especially in something from over a century ago. Other questions I'd have to ask is where were the pistols located when the stamp was applied? Who were the workers who applied the stamps? Did they work for the CMP? I know nothing about these pistols, those seem like valid questions to me.

·
Registered
11,715 Posts
Very good photo of an original N.R.A. stamp. Looks nothing like a pantagraph.

The N.R.A. pistols were all marked at Springfield Armory as they were sold, and cover a wide range of serial numbers, especially on the Colts. The Colts cover a serial number range from approximately 122000 to 164000.

The CMP dates to 1996.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Very good photo of an original N.R.A. stamp. Looks nothing like a pantagraph.

The N.R.A. pistols were all marked at Springfield Armory as they were sold, and cover a wide range of serial numbers, especially on the Colts. The Colts cover a serial number range from approximately 122000 to 164000.

The CMP dates to 1996.

it was a beautiful pistol, sold for $8500 a few yrs ago. Came into his shop in a WWI web belt with 2 mags full of WWI dated ammo, a real time capsule. Original owner was a lifetime NRA member and had two of them.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
it was a beautiful pistol, sold for $8500 a few yrs ago. Came into his shop in a WWI web belt with 2 mags full of WWI dated ammo, a real time capsule. Original owner was a lifetime NRA member and had two of them.
Actually, I gave her significantly more than the $8500 she offered the gun for locally there in TX after I received it and saw how nice it was in person. Thanks again for the heads-up on the gun.
Scott

·
Registered
676 Posts
Well thats good to know, she seemed to be a nice lady.

I kinda wondered what the 2nd example looked like.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts