Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This news is just breaking, and may change -- but many of us are NRA members.

The charge of four top execs, including Wayne LaPierre, skimming $millions doesn't surprise me. Something was obviously bad wrong when Ollie North only lasted a month until being forced out. No one would explain - or if they did, then I missed it. The NRA should have cleaned up itself, and that's what some of us would have required. Now possibly the entire organization is in serious jeopardy.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I don't see where they have the authority to disband the NRA, I mean do they think the rest of the nation will just go along with that communist controlled checkpoint isolated territory? OK if they think individuals broke the law, then bring the charges and have a trial. But I'm not going to be persuaded to stop being a freedom loving AMERICAN!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't see where they have the authority to disband the NRA, I mean do they think the rest of the nation will just go along with that communist controlled checkpoint isolated territory? OK if they think individuals broke the law, then bring the charges and have a trial. But I'm not going to be persuaded to stop being a freedom loving AMERICAN!
"I don't see where they have the authority to disband the NRA ".

I agree, the NY AG cannot disband the NRA.

The NY AG can bring charges if they are Federal, but if State - cannot. The only loophole for the NY AG is possibly over NY Income Taxes. This should be an alleged Violation of Federal Tax law, and any lawsuit should be brought by the Feds.

Overall NY hates the Constitution and Bill Of Rights, so any lawsuit against the NRA should be be questioned.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Wayne is from my backyard (Roanoke) and I looked up to the man for years. I do not know him personally. From what I’ve read (in past-haven’t even looked at this case), I believe greed has overtaken integrity, which is common in business and organizations. I hope I am wrong about Wayne. One thing I know for sure is no one should ever underestimate the power of greed. Makes people whom you think are good do vile things.

I’m a NRA Endowment member (my father is Benefactor). Here about a year ago, with the entire North/Cox situations and all, I started to turn in my membership. I was proud of it many years. I thought where else am I going to go? I like the GOA best, but they don’t have near the influence of the NRA. I kept it but have not upgraded which I intended to do several times.
This doesn’t even take in account the egregious compromises they have allowed.

I believe the NRA executives are fleecing the American people. I love the NRA but I think it would be best if the upper management had an overhaul. Get someone who is willing to fight for free, then give them a 100k salary and see how hard they fight then! When they start wanting more and more money, time to start the process over again with someone new. That’s how I feel about it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What big_gus said! While I hope Wayne LaPierre is pure as driven snow, it is past time for him to go. Not only for the good of the NRA, but also for the good of the fight to keep our rapidly-eroding RKBA. If any person/group stays in power too long, they begin to feel "entitled". I have been a life mbr for 50 years and a Golden Eagle (charter mbr) until this year. I continue to contribute to the Institute for Legislative Action and Political Action Committee. These contributions go only for intended purpose--not to NRA's general fund.

We must support the NRA's efforts this election season--they are the largest, most influential gun-rights organization in our country.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Make no mistake this is a Anti-2nd Amendment effort to collapse the NRA under its own weight. Trying to piss off the rank and file (Dues payers) by inferring that their money is being frittered away by the big shots and is not going to its intended purpose (Like many charities), thereby tanking the number of members. All that being said, the board of directors should do a little house cleaning. Either way, I'll be renewing my membership when the time comes. I'm soooooooo tired of all of the lefts BS tactics.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I never heard what the deal was during the North episodes.....anybody got a link to the bottom line of that controversy?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Something has been going on. When a half dozen long time board members quit in the past few months it looks like something is not above board somewhere. I think the NRA was initially chartered in New York state. That might be how their AG gets a club to use.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
I don’t know if anyone has the “bottom line” on the North or Chris Cox situations. Basically, best I can figure is both accused Wayne of financial wrong doings and both got the boot. North is a retired Marine (Lieutenant Colonel). I thought Cox did one of the better jobs there. When I googled Wayne’s yearly earnings, my jaw dropped.

If someone has information defending Wayne and/or his earnings he takes from the NRA I’d love to see it. Like I say, I hope Wayne is on the straight and narrow road.

Reactions: colrhino

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wayne is from my backyard (Roanoke) and I looked up to the man for years. I do not know him personally. From what I’ve read (in past-haven’t even looked at this case), I believe greed has overtaken integrity, which is common in business and organizations. I hope I am wrong about Wayne. One thing I know for sure is no one should ever underestimate the power of greed. Makes people whom you think are good do vile things.

I’m a NRA Endowment member (my father is Benefactor). Here about a year ago, with the entire North/Cox situations and all, I started to turn in my membership. I was proud of it many years. I thought where else am I going to go? I like the GOA best, but they don’t have near the influence of the NRA. I kept it but have not upgraded which I intended to do several times.
This doesn’t even take in account the egregious compromises they have allowed.

I believe the NRA executives are fleecing the American people. I love the NRA but I think it would be best if the upper management had an overhaul. Get someone who is willing to fight for free, then give them a 100k salary and see how hard they fight then! When they start wanting more and more money, time to start the process over again with someone new. That’s how I feel about it.
I agree with you. They need to get rid of the top and start all over in Texas.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
At this point we really need to circle the wagons. Dissension among the rank and file can be terminal for our NRA. Exactly what the Left is hoping for. I've been to a many annual meetings and listened to Charlton Heston, Neal Knox, Chris Cox, Ollie North and others. Yes and Wayne LaPierre. I'll say Heston and Cox were both very inspiring and dynamic speakers. Also, I always enjoyed Neal Knox's views and challenges to the routine. The NRA could use more of that today. Supposedly, the NRA BOD is doing that very thing at least they are charged with that responsibility.
Anyone remember the Cincinnati Revolt 1979?
Vic

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
There is no advantage going cannibal on this issue. If there is a fox in the henhouse, that will be dealt with. Meanwhile, the NRA cannot allow political espionage to derail its' mission. And I really don't care what anyone's paycheck looks like, except mine.
Let this sort itself out, and stay on task for the future of this great Republic.
IIA, RKBA: With out it, the entire Constitution & bill of Rights is gone, and we'll be finished.
These are the very issues the founders were considering when they assembled this brilliant form of government.
I apologize.
Rant over.

·
Registered
145 Posts
This news is just breaking, and may change -- but many of us are NRA members.

The charge of four top execs, including Wayne LaPierre, skimming $millions doesn't surprise me. Something was obviously bad wrong when Ollie North only lasted a month until being forced out. No one would explain - or if they did, then I missed it. The NRA should have cleaned up itself, and that's what some of us would have required. Now possibly the entire organization is in serious jeopardy.
This why I terminated my life membership with the NRA several years ago and shifted my support to the Gun Owners of America and NAAGA, the National African American Gun Association.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I am very impressed with GOA. I love that they are somehow able to get results, email me information that I need to know every couple of weeks and provide a link to send a message to "my" representatives (who will ignore it anyway)...and they do all of this without asking me for money EVERY SINGLE DAY.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Unfortunately, NRA has outgrown itself and become a cash cow for its leaders. LaPierre makes millions in salary, bonuses and "benefits" (like spending $275,000 of NRA's money in a fancy clothing store), while NRA reports an annual loss. I hope NRA can survive until the election is over, but GOA is a better option.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am very impressed with GOA. I love that they are somehow able to get results, email me information that I need to know every couple of weeks and provide a link to send a message to "my" representatives (who will ignore it anyway)...and they do all of this without asking me for money EVERY SINGLE DAY.
You must be on a different e mail list than I am. GOA ends every email sent to me with a request for money.
I always hear about GOA. I have never talked to anyone who is a voting member of GOA. Does the GOA have a Board of Directors? I know that there are at least 3 generations of the Pratt family employed by GOA. Do you know what they are paid? Do you know who hires the Pratts and decides what they do or how they spend the money the GOA raises? Have you ever met a GOA gun or hunter safety instructor? Ever been to a match sponsored or run by GOA? Do you get the GOA monthly magazine?

I live in Virginia. I went to Richmond 5 times this year to various Senate or house hearings. The NRA had a lobbyist at every hearing I attended. The GOA had a speaker at Lobby Day but I did not see a lobbyist at the hearings. I could have missed him, but I saw the VCDL and the NRA.

I am not always happy with the NRA, and I think they make mistakes. But I make mistakes also. I think that this election, the NRA is vital.

I think for gun owners to abandon the NRA is the anti gunners fondest wish.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.