Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, got my NS 45 Colt back from HFC exactly as he received it, 2 yrs 4 months ago. What a cluster that was. This time I found a local guy for a simple project. Birth year is late 1921.

I'm keeping it simple, having the barrel cut to 2.5" so to retain the "New Service 45 Colt" lettering, and a ramped front sight installed. The butt will be shortened into a *&* K frame configuration that fits my hand better. The hammer will not be bobbed (for now, perhaps). I'm going to pull the latch later and round it down to remove the bite potential; I hope to find a rounded latch later on. There is no plan to refinish the piece as the patina is so nice and smooth. I'll have to find a way to blend the grip finish in. Maybe eventually a Cerakote or rust blue finish will be applied. How would a two-tone Cerakote finish look - might be interesting.

Here are a few photos...will post completed work later.
NS Before Left.jpg NS Before with mods indicated.jpg NS Before mockup.jpg NS Before K frame overlay.jpg

·
Registered
670 Posts
Wow, are you really sure you want to murderfy the butt that much? You could do a lot of rounding and use the C colt replacement grips, like Twaits did without taking so much lower frame. C grips are the black fleur De Lis grips used on the Colts made in the teens. You can buy them from Vintage Grips...cheap.
For a blend finish, polish, clean and use blow dryer to heat. Apply Oxpho Blue with a swab, polish off with 0000 steel wool, repeat as necessary. Be sure it's clean after each coat for recoat, in spite of them saying you don't need to clean. Will give a gray-like blue that can be blended to match. Example. Used on cut barrel and cylinder refinish.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My objective with murdification of the grip frame is to reduce the size; it is larger than needed for my hand and disproportionate (wow-5 sylables...) with the shortened barrel. I do not have the "C" grip for comparison - will someone please post a tracing or size comparison to illustrate?

·
Registered
670 Posts
My objective with murdification of the grip frame is to reduce the size; it is larger than needed for my hand and disproportionate (wow-5 sylables...) with the shortened barrel. I do not have the "C" grip for comparison - will someone please post a tracing or size comparison to illustrate?
Check: Fitz Special Project, thread on page two. You can see the rounded corners bring the big bottom of frame down quite a bit when compared to stock grips. Grips from Vintage Grips...not a very good pic, but if you follow bottom trim line you can lose a lot of frame and still have the frame intact.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Those were for an Army Special grip frame though. I don't know if there is such a thing as New Service grips with the stylized "C". You may have to go with reshaping walnut grips instead.
The vintage gun grips site is down right now so I can't check for sure.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Those were for an Army Special grip frame though. I don't know if there is such a thing as New Service grips with the stylized "C". You may have to go with reshaping walnut grips instead.
The vintage gun grips site is down right now so I can't check for sure.
Yeah, maybe you're right. Been a long time since I sold my 1917 with stag grips, so I don't remember how much different they are. Vintage may make them up or not. I would check with them when site is up...or call. Nice people right here in FL. Might do a special if you send them a grip, don't know.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Yeah, maybe you're right. Been a long time since I sold my 1917 with stag grips, so I don't remember how much different they are. Vintage may make them up or not. I would check with them when site is up...or call. Nice people right here in FL. Might do a special if you send them a grip, don't know.
Another option would just to be to go with faux ivories reshape those.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
I've got an Army Special that has been rounded some. Here's some pictures. Not real drastic, but it works well. It's in .32-20 and shoots great!

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
New Service is the way to go. I'm into my third rework, below, a work in progress. I did a little mod to the grip, shortened about 1/2" & curled it into birdhead, also about 1/16" swag in the thrumb-crotch area. This one has parts from 4 guns in it. The frame is 1917, cylinder assy 1909, barrel 4 digit s/n SAA and some innards from here and there. Grip is ebony with inletted ivory steerhead. I'm doing an eagle for the other side. Final finish not yet decided. I like to shoot these neat little pocket pieces.

I have another one just with barrel snubbed. The idea of rounding the heels of the grips I'll have to give some serious thought. Haven't bought into the trigger guard cut idea but the bobbed hammer may get some action. Hmmmm - I have an extra hammer-trigger set that might be the way to go. If I don't like it I can change back.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Has anyone laid the two revolver grips side by side for comparison? NS against Army Special/OP I mean.
Yes. They have the same general shape, but the New Service stock is just a little larger in all dimensions.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Yes. They have the same general shape, but the New Service stock is just a little larger in all dimensions.
I wonder if it is possible to take the NS frame down to Army Special dimensions and use the aftermarket C stocks? It might leave more material than taking frame down to round butt S&W. What say the experts?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stopped by a local GS on my way to the gunsmith today, an lo, there were two 3" N frame snubbies, a 29-3 and a 625-3. Laid both away and have dropped my conversion project. Guess I will sell the NS. Let someone else agonize over it. Thanks toallfor your help!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Stopped by a local GS on my way to the gunsmith today, an lo, there were two 3" N frame snubbies, a 29-3 and a 625-3. Laid both away and have dropped my conversion project. Guess I will sell the NS. Let someone else agonize over it. Thanks toallfor your help!
Fair enough. Be sure to let the guys here have first shot at it by listing on the forum and good luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts