Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
Collect older handguns from Colt and S&W primarily
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this Colt just a couple of hours ago at a LGS. The butt is marked NYST - is that New York State Trooper? Something else? I included some not-so-good photos taken with my cell phone camera. Are the grips correct? Any idea what a fair price for it would be based on the photos and marking? Depending on your answers, I may have to make a run back and buy it!

Attachments

Reactions: dabney and Malysh

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
The stocks may be some old authentic ebonys. If so they would be very valuable. If that gun was ordered from the factory that way, it might be worth you running back and buying it.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
It is indeed a New York State Police sidearm - it was the issue revolver for uniform Troopers from 1962 to 1972. Original grips were checkered walniut with silver medallions. They are generally well worn on the outside but mechanically fine. If the serial number happens to be 885575, it's my old gun - I carried it from 1966 through 1974 (in 1972 they began to phase in the Smith 10-6 [in .357mag] so some OPs were still in service as late as 1974). Value as a shooter is probably less than value to retired guys who chase guns like these.

Nice grips BTW.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
The stocks would not be correct for a New York State Trooper Official Police. Since the gun's backstrap is marked as NYST it would have originally been issued with checkered walnut O.P. service stocks.
It's a post WWII revolver. I wasn't aware that the New York State Troopers used this model in that era. I've seen some pre war New Services and Official Police marked by New York. If I remember correctly, they were all 6 inch barreled.
I can't see any motivation to fake that gripstrap engraving so I am assuming it is legitimate.

I think you have about a $500 gun there due to the stamping. The condition is worn and the stocks, if they are ebony, only would reduce the price paid for the gun if they were sold. The original stocks would add value, the ebonies would not, because the NYST guns are collectable and the stocks are not correct. They can be found for sale in varying condition.

We have a few real experts for this niche of Colt collecting. I am not one of them.
Hopefully they will comment about the gun, and if I have made any mistakes they will correct them.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies so far, I may just have to go back and buy that sixgun. Too late today, hopefully it will still be in the case on Monday! Too bad I didn't note the serial number. If it does come into my possession on Monday, I'll give out some better information.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies so far, I may just have to go back and buy that sixgun. Too late today, hopefully it will still be in the case on Monday! Too bad I didn't note the serial number. If it does come into my possession on Monday, I'll give out some better information.
OK, that NYST marked OP was still at the LGS Monday so I put a deposit on it to keep it from getting away. The serial number is 885145 which makes it circa 1962 per the Colt web site. As I would no doubt just use it as a "shooter" one of the retired NY Troopers who is a Forum member expressed an interest in this gun, so it will be his shortly. I'm happy I could unite a fellow LEO (retired) with a service revolver like one he once carried. I'm retiring in early 2015 after some 30 years with U.S. Border Patrol and Customs and I'm on the prowl for one of my old service revolvers; in this case a Smith & Wesson CS-1. I saw one like I once packed on GB.com a while back, but it was priced way out of my league! Most of the ones we turned in back in the early 90's were destroyed per Janet Reno...

Reactions: up196 and Malysh

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
I remember seeing a Colt revolver in a LGS that was marked NYSP IIRC or it might have been NYST, but (again) IIRC it was stamped on the side of the frame not the backstrap. I'm reasonably sure it was an O.P. It was worn and reblued.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.