Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.M. marked \"32\",+Heavy Barrel+ ?

Hi does anyone have any info on O.M. 32's with Heavy Barrel made in the 40's.Supica says only 850 made and most shipped to the Mass.Natiopnal Guard but said his info's word of mouth.Thanks for any info.Regards,Mike

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: O.M. marked \"32\",+Heavy Barrel+ ?

Hi and Thanks for the info.Were these pistols all Heavy Barrels?My book states starting serial #'s for 1941 652,000 and mine is 656,000 range so may be same area as SEBCo's.Regards,Mike

·
Registered
111 Posts

Mike,

The Yahoo site listed earlier has all the known survivors and their serial numbers which will also give you a gauge for shipping dates. My OMT 32 is s/n 643,XXX but shipped very early in 1941, there are certainly gaps between 32's and 38's as they ran in the same range, and some later serial numbers could have actually shipped before earlier ones. The letter is really the only way to know for sure.

There is no listing in Ira's "Known Survivors" of an OMT 32 without a heavy barrel. Have you seen one that was not a heavy barrel?

Scott

[This message has been edited by SEBCo (edited 04-08-2004).]

·
Registered
132 Posts

I have never seen or heard of a .32 OM that was not a HB. Mine is 643xxx,very close to Scott's.

Bill A

[This message has been edited by Bill A (edited 04-08-2004).]

·
Registered
111 Posts

Mike,

It's more than urban legend. My OMT 32 letter indicates it was 1 of 400 shipped 1/18/41 to the State of Massachusetts. Many of these revolvers went unused and were purchased after the war by a shooting range in Arizona (JG Sales). They still have one listed for sale. I’m not sure that anyone has ever definitively nailed the exact number produced, the “about 850” comes up very consistently.

There is an excellent site maintained by an erstwhile forum member “Ira Paine” and the link is listed below. http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/colt-1/

Prior to finding these sites, I found some interesting information at the now-defunct shooters.com site. The information was credible, serial number ranges, years of production 1939-1941, about 850 produced, the source quoted Marty Huber, a former Colt Historian.

Scott

·
Registered
153 Posts

Mike,
Jim's info came from a very, very good source. Check out the Colt Group for a lot of good info on these or any other Pre War Colt Target Revolver, plus serial numbers and pictures at www.groups.yahoo.com/group/COLT-1
IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Catalano:
Hi does anyone have any info on O.M. 32's with Heavy Barrel made in the 40's.Supica says only 850 made and most shipped to the Mass.Natiopnal Guard but said his info's word of mouth.Thanks for any info.Regards,Mike<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Hi thanks for your info.No I have never seen a O.M.32 without a Heavy Barrel.Thanks,Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts