Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two O.P.; one from 1944, and the other from 1967. I have some questions about the older one. It is stamped M.S.P. No. 562 on the butt. My understanding is that this was a Michigan State Police revolver. It has a 5" barrel. The front sight is a post, or patridge type. I have not seen any others with this sight. Was this standard, or a post manufacture alteration?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Don't know how many guns were in the Michigan S.P. order,but Colt was certainly willing to do "custom orders",as I have an early 1930's O.Police that has a wider than normal 1/2 moon sight,that is factory. But,if Colt would have done that in the busy war time days of 1944,even for a police order,I don't know?

Is the sight definately attached to the barrel,by a weld,or is it the old 1/2 moon sight with the back side filed flat,giving a "1/4 moon" look from the side?? Many shooters did this to the older rounded sights to get less reflection,and I've seen many fixed sighted Colts and S&Ws that have this done,some even with a bead or dot on the filed face.

Only way you could be certain is A) to hear from some collector who also has that vintage MSP O.Police B) spend about 100 bucks on a Colt Factory Letter,and even then,the special sight MIGHT not be mentioned in it!

A better description/photo of the sight might give a better clue as to its originality. Good Luck

Bud

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Beautiful gun,Mustang. The sight has the slight undercut to further create a reflection free sight picture. A patient owner could(can) do a nice "professional" job with some files,and touch up blue. I bet the gun is a superb shooter. Official Polices,even the pre wars,used to be very low priced,and have "the Python smoothness",as they were well fitted,by olde timers who "took pride".

My hands,and scores,told me many years ago,that the E size frame,as the Official Police is made on,along with pre war large frame S&Ws,with the original small grips,are the best gun for me to shoot.(Although the .44 & .45 S&Ws are a little stiff on the recoil,but I don't max out my hand loads in any gun.) The Colt O.Police will handle modern "+P" loads where as their competition,the S&W M&P's,made prior to 1957,are best preserved by using "regular" .38 Specials.

Glad to see you use a grip adapter. They really help,and keep the originality of the gun,instead of larger,aftermarket target type stocks.

Bud

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My late father bought this one in the 60's, and taught me to shoot hanguns with it when I was 10 or so. I have various K-frame Smiths; 14,15,10,M&P,18,17,19, and a few N-frames; 28,29,and 24. But I have recently come back to the old Official Police. I just bought a '67 vintage 4". It is well used, but has one of the best triggers of any gun I own. I feel myself getting the bug for an Officer's Model Match!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Bud. On close inspection it looks like it could have been filed into that shape. It was very well done.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Nice gun. Can you post the 1967 one as well? I've got two of those OPs myself a 1944 4 inch with half moon sight and a 1961 4 inch with slanted sight and longer ejector rod cap (and the hammer has more of a spoon look to it's thumb placement. Wish mine looked that good. Maybe in a few years I'll send them to the factory to be reblued. The bluing they got didn't take as well as it could have. And my walnut grips are pretty worn so I got some European Walnut Grips (and they look just as good and very nearly the same as originals)

·
Registered
68 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Doug,
Sorry for the delay..I was out of town. Here's a shot of my well-worn '67.

[/ QUOTE ]
My OP is a pre war 32/20 and has a front sight just like this one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts