Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The mainspring in my 1943 Official Police doesn't have enough beans anymore to reliably fire in double-action mode, although it works every time when shooting single-action. Double-action misfires occur once or twice per cylinder on average. When the primers get smacked a second time they go off, so I think I have a spring problem - not an ammo problem. Also, the double-action pull feels too good to be true.

I bought an O.P. mainspring from Numrich but it was used and was actually worse than the original (misfires occurred 4-5 times per cylinder).

Brownell's doesn't list parts for the Official Police but they do have new Python mainsprings for about $9. Since the O.P. and the Python are both I-frames, shouldn't a Python mainspring work? Thanks for any help.

-Bob

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

I bought an O.P. mainspring from Numrich but it was used and was actually worse than the original (misfires occurred 4-5 times per cylinder).

-Bob

[/ QUOTE ] buying any part from numrich is at best like playing the lottery, only a small % actually "win".

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
So are buying "parts" on eBay,unless you can be assured that part is "NEW"!

Robert,when you find the spring,you will note that the later postWorld War 2 springs have a "bend" where the 2 leaves join together,versus none in the older mainsprings.
Don't worry, the new type will work fine.

To avoid,going "from the frying pan into the fire" again,and getting a "well used" mainspring,I think WOLFF gunsprings makes them for the Python,and the have a website,which a Goggle search will give you.

Good Luck,and get that old war horse earning its keep again!

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1 - 4 of 4 Posts