Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my new Python on Monday. Mid 70s in Michigan here today so scrambled out of work and hit the range.

By no means is it broken in, but 300 rounds of my hand loads were enough to make an impression. I did all manner of drills on standard IPSC targets as well as some slow fire here and there.

The double action trigger pull is superb. I couldn’t be happier. I don’t really care about single action but it seemed fine. I like the sights. The relief angle cuts on the rear blade are a nice touch when holstering (I was using a Safariland 002), and while I normally hate red ramps, this one seemed better than any I’ve experienced on Smiths or Colts. I think they got the angle just right.

The grips on mine are really nicely fit. Impressive. However, they don’t work well with Safariland Comp IIs or Dades. With HKS they were fine. I’ve already nicked the grips up from the Comps IIs.

A tiny amount of grit behind the ejector star would hang the cylinder. A quick hit with an old tooth brush and it would be back to the races. I’m betting with factory ammo it would go longer between needing a quick brushing before trouble.

My initial impression is that Colt has done a heck of a nice job with this gun. I don’t really get irked with teething problems, and I expect guns to have long break-in periods. I’m probably an easy sell. I shoot my original Python and Trooper often, but when I really churn through ammo it tends to be Smiths. I think that will change with this new Python.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Congrats on purchase , I know you were looking for a 2020.
Good to read your experience , I think your last sentence really sums up your high thoughts of the 2020 snake.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I figured it was time to quit screwing around and sight it in. My revolver background is not PPC or Bullseye, so no one would accuse me of being a precision shooter. I was cracking myself up, as I had to go from my prescription shooting glasses to reading classes when adjusting the rear sight. Anyway, I got it zeroed with my hand loads then played around with Fiocchi and Magtech wadcutters from a foam rest at 25 yards.

With Fiocchi I had two five shot groups that came in at 1.9”. 2.5-3” was routine, but the gun is capable of much better. I have seen many reviews using Ransom rests that indicate the same.

As an aside the Magtech .38 Special wadcutter was by far the foulest factory ammo I‘ve ever fired.

I put a little blue Locktite on the lock hex screw on the assumption that without it movement over time was likely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts