Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past, several forum members have indicated that they have been able to go to the Colt web site and by entering the serial number of their gun, they can obtain the model number of that gun. Of course, the model number describes a lot about a Colt firearm.

I have not been able to access such a site when I log onto Colt's web site. I can, under "Customer Services", enter my gun's serial number and obtain the name of the gun (like Python) and the year of manufacture.

Have I misunderstood about being able to obtain a Model number on that site??

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Terry I just type in Colt serial numbers.
That takes you to a box to input your number and then takes you to a listing of all models with that number.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
I don’t think I’m entirely clear what you are asking.

You seem to be describing the serial look-up. Since before 1968 Colt like most manufacturers use simple numerical serial numbers, no serial can contain or reveal any information about what model it belongs to; serial #10,000 can belong to any model of which 10,000 were produced.

As for the model names, you have to go with whatever Colt put in the website as an identifier; be that simply Police Positive (no number) or Model 1851 Navy.

https://www.colt.com/serial-lookup

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
In the past, several forum members have indicated that they have been able to go to the Colt web site and by entering the serial number of their gun, they can obtain the model number of that gun. Of course, the model number describes a lot about a Colt firearm.

I have not been able to access such a site when I log onto Colt's web site. I can, under "Customer Services", enter my gun's serial number and obtain the name of the gun (like Python) and the year of manufacture.

Have I misunderstood about being able to obtain a Model number on that site??
On 1or 2 occasions only, have been able to see model # of Python when entered serial.
Was later production units.

·
Premium Member
18,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Members, thanks for the inputs, but I was not clear in what I needed. I own a Colt Python and when I put its serial number in the box on
the Customer Service page, I get the information it is a Python. I had understood that some members have posted that they are also able to get the Model number like I-3020

·
Premium Member
18,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all! Paul will get me letters soon. I was just trying to get some quick info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts