Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Do you know what is Uchronie (or alternative history or what if ...).
The commemoration (fortunately, not the celebration) of the October 1917 revolution has started (at least,some journalists have reminded us that this is the 100th Anniversary of the bolchevik revolution). Then, this question has crossed my mind" What would have happened if this revolution had failed?"It's a funny game and you can leave your mind rambling in any direction you wish. To me, October Revolution failing would have meant no longer Lenine, nor Staline, nor Castro, nor Che Guevara, nor Mao Tse Toung, nor Kim Jong Un, no Iron Curtain, no Berlin wall, no repression in Hungary (1956) nor in Czecoslovakia (1968), no Indochine War, no Korean war, no Vietnam war, and today no North Korea. Without the germano-sovietic pact, broken only in 1941, Hitler might have not dared to attack the rest of Europe and start the WW2 (From 1933 to 1939, Staline allowed his friend Hitler to train his Panzer crews and Luftwaffe pilots in USSR to circumvent the Versailles treaty (1919 that prohibited german tanks and warplanes).

What a wonderful world, isn't it Mr.Satchmo? But I'm pretty sure other devils would have taken over the Reds ...

Now, on the other hand and to tease my US friends, let's consider some other consequences . No communism would have meant no needs for Boeing B-17, B-29 (if no WW2), and B-52(if no cold war), no needs for Colt M-16 (if no Vietnam war) -here is the link with the Coltforum-, no race to the moon (Armstrong's first step on the Moon in 1979, 89, 99, ... or not yet ?) and so on.
Let's imagine a free Great Russia joining up the European Community, a Great capitalist China wihout its 68 millions of death (Thank you Mr Mao), then nowadays USA would be behind EC and China likely.

We could carry on playing this game and decide to go in other different directions, there are so many possible cross-roads !

Friends, keep in mind, this is just a game, don't club me. :rolleyes:

Take care, and God bless America.

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
Interesting speculations, which won't go far unless we mention lots of COLTs :)

I think your chain reaction reaches a bit to far. The collapse of Russia in 1917 or 1918 was inevitable even if the Bolsheviks had failed (with or without COLTs). Remember that the Tsar had already been toppled in the February Revolution and was gone. I don't think the outcome of WW I would have been any different; after all, the Bolshevik Revolution actually helped the Germans.

And no other regime could have held Russia together as the utter brutality and ruthlessness of Stalin did, so a weak East would have been an even easier target for Hitler. We would have likely needed a lot more of those bombers and COLTs because the war in the East might have been the war Hitler won.

As for all those dictators, Mao, Castro, Kim, the Bolsheviks didn't invent them. Communist ideology was around long before. Local conditions had as much, if not more to do with their rise.

The world would certainly have looked much different in the 20th century without the USSR, but likely just as violent. I don't think we would have needed fewer COLTs.

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
Leftism...or any political ideology that makes for increased government authority...will always move towards increased authoritarianism. No matter how well meaning the intent...there will always be those who crave power over others and intend to wield such power. Stalin...Hitler...Castro...Chavez...Kim...Mao...the only differences in horrible results are in scale, not kind.

I think in many underdeveloped countries and cultures, the people don't know much about politics and economics other than what is fed to them by the authoritarian, leftist government. They've been exposed to nothing else. They probably don't care as long as they're left alone to tend to their lives. Poverty and no education is all they know. The United States is fortunate that our founders came here wanting something better.

Reactions: ei8ht and PICARDIE
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.