Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
all can view my website
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called Embassy Suites two weeks ago to make a room reservation for the 2018 CCA show in Concord, NC. I was told no rooms are available for Saturday night of the show. Makes no sense to me. If I can't get a reservation which includes Saturday night, I won't make the trip. They did put me on a waiting list though. I am supposed to be notified if Saturday night becomes available. If any one can help with this situation, it would be much appreciated. Seems really strange to me to not have Saturday night available. Just a guess, but it seems like a block of rooms would be set aside for us and it would be the same number each night. I would think the number of people staying Saturday would be close to the number staying on Friday. Must be a lot going on that weekend because many of the motels in the area are sold out.

Reactions: ei8ht

·
The Consummate Collector
7,166 Posts
I was concerned when I read this so I called the Embassy Suites and made my reservation without any problem. You just have to ask for the special rate under the Colt Collectors Association name. They have a large block of rooms set aside for the convention. I assume that we have so many rooms that it does not leave many for normal reservations thus the problem that Randy found when he tried to make his reservation. The rate for a CCA reservation is about $50 less than a normal reservation anyway so for those making reservations please make sure that you ask for the CCA rate. Since this location has always been one of the largest attended when CCA has had the show there I would encourage those who are planning on attending to get there reservation in early as I am sure it will be a sell out. If your plan changes you can always call up to 48 hours in advance to cancel.

Here is the information for the hotel:

Embassy Suites Hotel
Address: 5400 John Q. Hammons Dr NW, Concord, NC 28027

Phone: (704) 455-8200

·
Premium Member
all can view my website
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cam, Thanks for responding. I am glad you had no problem. I just called and was able to add Saturday to my reservation. My initial reservation was made November 5th with the CCA rate. I tried three subsequent times to add Saturday using the CCA rate. The last time I tried I was told they would put me on a waiting list and I would be contacted when a room became available. Apparently they tired of me questioning them. The person I just talked to said they have no waiting list and no system in place to contact someone when a room becomes available. Oh well, happy ending. I got my room and am looking forward to traveling to North Carolina for the Colt Collectors Association Show.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I just finished making my reservation for the CCA Convention with no problems. Randy, I'm glad you were able to get your reservation straightened out and I hope no one else has any problem making a reservation. Looking forward to seeing you next October.

·
Premium Member
10,265 Posts
Cleveland would be nice...

·
The Consummate Collector
7,166 Posts
I will pass this on to the new person that will be handling the convention locations in the future. Just remember that the locations are made three years in advance so the show in 2019 at Frisco, Texas and in 2020 at Las Vegas is already in place. The next open spot is in 2021.

·
The Consummate Collector
7,166 Posts
Cam, Thanks for responding. I am glad you had no problem. I just called and was able to add Saturday to my reservation. My initial reservation was made November 5th with the CCA rate. I tried three subsequent times to add Saturday using the CCA rate. The last time I tried I was told they would put me on a waiting list and I would be contacted when a room became available. Apparently they tired of me questioning them. The person I just talked to said they have no waiting list and no system in place to contact someone when a room becomes available. Oh well, happy ending. I got my room and am looking forward to traveling to North Carolina for the Colt Collectors Association Show.
Randy. It looks like someone didn't want you there on Saturday. Glad you got it worked out.

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Thanks, Cam.

To me, my perception is that the org. has a regional bias against holding the conventions anywhere but the south or west. If true, this kind of bugs me.
Frankly, it's one reason I haven't joined. But again, it may be only a perception, and not fact.

I can tell you one thing, though. If the CCA would hold a convention in PA. or Ohio, etc. I would definitely join. It would be great to meet some of our best collectors in person.

The biggest reason I haven't joined is that I'm simply not in the collecting league that you and many of our membership are in.

·
Premium Member
all can view my website
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"Cam" Randy. It looks like someone didn't want you there on Saturday. Glad you got it worked out.

Of course they didn't want me there on Saturday. I am very hard to get along with and not much fun to be around. Other than that, I see no reason not to have me on Saturday.

·
The Consummate Collector
7,166 Posts
Thanks, Cam.To me, my perception is that the org. has a regional bias against holding the conventions anywhere but the south or west. If true, this kind of bugs me. Frankly, it's one reason I haven't joined. But again, it may be only a perception, and not fact. I can tell you one thing, though. If the CCA would hold a convention in PA. or Ohio, etc. I would definitely join. It would be great to meet some of our best collectors in person. The biggest reason I haven't joined is that I'm simply not in the collecting league that you and many of our membership are in.
Mike. I can assure you that the organization does not have any reason to not hold there convention in any part of the country so long as they can find a place that fits. What I mean by that is, it must be gun friendly so that the laws will allow the show. That is why certain States won't work i.e. California, New Your, Conn., New Jersey etc. Certain requirements are needed of the hotel such as a convention center attached to the hotel itself. It must have rooms large enough to hold the convention with an auction room, banquet room, storage room for guns, meeting rooms etc. and not all hotels have these available. The airport must be close enough and large enough to accept flights from most large cities around the country. The hotel must have ample parking and ease of entry and egress. I know what is entailed as I was on the committee for a couple of years and it is much more difficult than you think to find a place that meets all of the requirements. Also it is an all volunteer organization and finding members to head up the convention committee is difficult as the job is not easy. New venues must be scouted out to make sure that they can handle the convention. Also CCA has two bus trips, one on Thursday and one on Friday, for the ladies and men who wish to take in the sights of the area so there must be things to do and see in the surrounding area. The CCA Convention is more than your local gun show and therefore requires much more time and research than a local show. The new person that will be taking over the convention committee handled it many years ago and has a vast knowledge from her regular day job as to what area's may work best so you will probably see some new locations starting in 2021. I hope this information helps and I would encourage you to go ahead and join CCA as I think you would really enjoy the quarterly publication. Regards,Cam.

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Thanks, Cam, for the detailed explanation. I'm sure it's lots of work and lots of logistics.

Here in Harrisburg, we have the PA.Farm Show Complex which handles dozens of various shows every year, including at least 4 gun shows plus the SAR East Show and the NRA Great Outdoors Show on an annual basis.
There's a nice new hotel complex adjacent to the venue.
Just a thought.....

·
Premium Member
all can view my website
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"originally posted by Malysh"

To me, my perception is that the org. has a regional bias against holding the conventions anywhere but the south or west. If true, this kind of bugs me.
Frankly, it's one reason I haven't joined. But again, it may be only a perception, and not fact.

I can tell you one thing, though. If the CCA would hold a convention in PA. or Ohio, etc. I would definitely join. It would be great to meet some of our best collectors in person.

The biggest reason I haven't joined is that I'm simply not in the collecting league that you and many of our membership are in.

I understand your perception, but I believe it to be wrong. My personal opinion is the conventions are set up somewhat as a central location for different regions. Vegas is for the convenience of the far western states. Kansas City, Dallas/Frisco, and Norman... these locations are pretty much central for all the U.S. As for Concord, NC if you take a 500 mile radius it would include a large population. Here are some sample mileage figures, Philadelphia 519 miles/8hrs drive, Cleveland 522 miles/8hrs 45 min, Pittsburg 454/7hrs 46 min, Indianapolis 583 miles/9hrs 44 min, Louisville 493 miles/7hrs 53 min, Atlanta 265 miles/4hrs 24 min, Jacksonville, Fl 413 miles/6hrs 7 min, Birmingham 411 miles/ 6hrs 29 min, Nashville 428 miles/6hrs 49 min. And for me Little Rock 780 miles/12 hrs.

Well, I enjoyed my own little crash course in geography. A convention in some of the more Northeasterly cities from my home would be fun. Have not had the privilege of spending much time up there. One thing I don't understand is a reluctance to be a part of something you really enjoy and have a passion for. My collection is very minimal compared to others too. I have not let it stop me from being a part of something I really enjoy. The best part of all is the people. My personal experience, I have found The Colt Collectors Association to be a very personable group. I have always felt welcome and never inferior based on how I dress, how I look, or what I have. I wear shorts year round, have short hair and a long goatee, and don't have the best collection around. What I do have, I am proud of. The Colt Collectors Association is a really good group. Give them a try. I think you will be glad you did. This group does not care what you have. They do care about your passion for Colts and the happiness it brings.

This is not just for Malysh. It is for anyone sitting on the fence about joining the group. We need all the members we can get.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
The PA Farm Show Complex is a lot bigger than what the CCA needs....usually the show is held at the same hotel ballroom.......RR

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
My point was that Harrisburg, for example could handle any size show, from big to small.
The central location aspect is something to be considered, and is something that wouldn't have occurred to me, so I just learned something,

"I have not let it stop me from being a part of something I really enjoy. The best part of all is the people. My personal experience, I have found The Colt Collectors Association to be a very personable group. I have always felt welcome and never inferior based on how I dress, how I look, or what I have. I wear shorts year round, have short hair and a long goatee, and don't have the best collection around. What I do have, I am proud of. The Colt Collectors Association is a really good group. Give them a try. I think you will be glad you did. This group does not care what you have. They do care about your passion for Colts and the happiness it brings.

This is not just for Malysh. It is for anyone sitting on the fence about joining the group. We need all the members we can get."

Exactly how I feel about the folks here at the Colt Forum :D

·
The Consummate Collector
7,166 Posts
One of the requirements that the CCA has is that the hotel and conference hall must be attached so that there is an indoor path connecting each. As I previously mentioned it must also have the other rooms that are needed to be adjacent to the conference hall. They have found that the Embassy Suites Hotels that have an attached conference hall seem to work well. If any of you have one of these in your area and it meets all of the other requirements that I mentioned in my above post, please let me know.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The CCA show has been in Portland, Oregon and in Reno, Nevada before years ago. Even though I live on the East coast now I would like to see it at more places than it has been in the last few years. It would give collectors that don't travel long distance a chance to go once every few years. Or maybe have some regional shows like WACA has. Just my thought's, I think getting new blood into the club is the key.

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
I understand that the org. tries to find central locations, but that policy still leaves certain regions systemically neglected.

I'm suggesting the "shared pain" policy, where 1 year folks in the southeast have shorter trip, but maybe the next year the show is in Vermont ( good gun laws) or PA. where I live.This way everybody will have a mix of years where they're going to have shorter trips and some years where they're going to have longer trips.
This is why I cited the NRA conventions being in many different states and cities. Sometimes the conventions are close, sometimes they are far away.

The requirement that the venue have the convention hall adjacent to the hotel rooms is a good policy, but frankly, is not an insurmountable problem. Most regions have hotels set up precisely that way, and usually have multiple hotel venues that offer that. Even little Harrisburg (population approx. 48,000 has 4-5 venues which have that feature.

I'd be interested to know if a CCA convention has ever been convened in the Mid Atlantic or Northeast regions? If so, how long ago?

Thanks,
Mike

1 - 20 of 25 Posts