Colt Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
10,179 Posts
That's a weird one. An unknown gunsmith made an interesting gun that in the future might blow up because I'm sure it wasn't marked blackpowder only. But the guy you met knew what he was doing. That would be a fun one to have. My 1860 conversion on an unknown Italian gun was half done when I bought it at a gunshow. The most important part, the cylinder was there and the guy said it was a .44 Magnum! Well, I thought it would make a great blackpowder only .44 special. John Gren then built a loading gate, ejector and rod, higher front sight, lined the barrel and refinished it. It's regulated to standard lead bullets for a .44 at 200 grains. 215 worked great with 23 grns. of black and it's very accurate. Scary part is, way in the future a guy can slip a .44 Mag., or modern .44 special in it and blow it up.It's bored straight through. But like the gun you shot, it works great when used properly. My gun had a faint "JAD" stamped on it. I wish I know who that was who started this conversion. He stamped the gun with wobbly Colt address and "1871", etc. Here it is again. I wish you had a picture of the one you shot. John Gren did the conversions used in Wyatt Earp with Kevin Costner. The one he took off the guy he hit with an eight ball, and the 1860 Bignose Kate tried to shoot Doc with.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.