Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
rj; the # you gave is for a 1930 Official Police. Are the grips checkered all the way down to where they curve to meet the butts bottom? While Colt did make some special order round butts,the 2" Official Police did NOT come out until the very late 1930s,and they were usually standard on that "special order length" before the war. Too bad you didn't have the gun! Hopefully,the grips are "factory" and not a gunsmith rounded butt on the grip frame and the stocks;I've seen a few of these "homemades" for concealment purposes. Are you positive that they are for an E/1 frame,as the serial # matches D Frames,such as the Det. Spec. made in 1950! Bud

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
hi bud , no these grips are not pre ww2 they all mid 150's up as they have the chrome plated hore mediallion and not a pre-war nickel one , this may be a part number, un-sure figured i'd post and listen to ideas , many thanks for your reply rj

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
your welcome ,rj. Marshalls that used the rounded butt are in the 833352-845317 range, I have one,plus a 2" Official Police in the 846,000 range. Both have matching numbered grips,written in what looks like "white" pencil. There were some special order rounded butt O.P.s,with 4" bbls and a wider front sight that went to the NYPD around this time,or a little later. What color is the writing on your stocks?? Sometimes that lead,gray pencil is hard or impossible to read,even when using a good light & mag. glass,especially when oil & "crud" stained. As an aside,I used Tyler T adapters on both of the above mentioned guns,to control recoil with their "carry loads"-and they both conceal nicely! Bud

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
hi bud , the 566268 is stamped into the wood not wriiten , i have never seen another set of grips stamped thsi way , any idea ??rj

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
greeting , just picked up a odd ball set of E/I frame round butt grips stamped inside are the numbers 566268 , the grips came with nickel grip screw and nut , did colt make nickel round butt offical polices ??
or are these form a colt marshall , guesses any one , rj

·
Registered
122 Posts
I also have been puzzled by a pair of very nice imitation stag grips I recently came across. They fit my OP perfectly except that the bottom corners are rounded just like a Police Pos./Det Spl. frame. I'd love to see the gun they were made to fit!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some aftermarket grips were made for the Marshall. I guess the grip makers figured it would be a "bigger seller". Only about 2500 made,and a wild guess would be the same number of 2" O.P.s with the rounded butt and those special order O.P.s. It is not too hard to "round butt" a regular O.P. frame(NOT a collector quality gun though!) and use these grips. A decade ago,Gun Parts Co. had a bunch of round butt stocks for Marshalls they were selling dirt cheap. I once owned an Army Special that had the barrel cut to 3" and the butt rounded and some aftermarket pearls(real) put on and rounded to match the grip frame. Pretty well worn finish,and previous owner had abused it in other ways. Bud

·
Registered
8 Posts
Colt1a.jpg

Hi Guys, I know we're a long way from this post but I thought I'd just throw this picture of my Official police in here. The SN is just past the last Marshall 84533X.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts