Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This 7.5" 44-40 is claimed to be a Colt on GunBroker. Would anyone care to speculate on who made the frame and hammer?

·
Registered
203 Posts
The top strap of that frame, especially at the rear, does not look like either a Colt 1st or 2nd gen. SN dates to early 3rd gen but I don't have one to compare.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've messaged the seller about this. Let's see if he withdraws it like I suggested.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
From what I have read, the Jager revolvers had a sequential numerical serial number. How did this frame, if it is Jager as mentioned, end up with an “SA” serial number? Hijinks are afoot?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
It looks like one of the other manufacturers frame with Colt parts attached...
It looks like someone either wanted a fake Colt or someone is trying to deceive us
Either way
Hard pass
Thank u for sharing it with us
In these crazy times
Seems like people will do anything to make a few dollars
Stay safe and warm
God Bless,John
We all appreciate you bringing it to our attention
Hopefully it saves someone from buying it

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
It looks like one of the other manufacturers frame with Colt parts attached...
It looks like someone either wanted a fake Colt or someone is trying to deceive us
Either way
Hard pass
Thank u for sharing it with us
In these crazy times
Seems like people will do anything to make a few dollars
Stay safe and warm
God Bless,John
We all appreciate you bringing it to our attention
Hopefully it saves someone from buying it

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
The Colt has been pulled from the listing. Obvious fake, no Colt markings. Should have caught it. Got in a hurry posting. No excuse. Thanks for catching my mistake.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hard Pass for sure. the frame is wrong.
this is a first gen 1874 shipped US. shipped Sept 74 and on the records by sn.
look at the top near the hammer. the frame is round not square....
IMG_2432.JPG

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Not to pile on, but the gripframe ears near the hammer are the wrong shape for a Colt, and look like something from a Ruger.

·
Premium Member
2,141 Posts
The Colt has been pulled from the listing. Obvious fake, no Colt markings. Should have caught it. Got in a hurry posting. No excuse. Thanks for catching my mistake.
Welcome and thanks for your honesty! If you ever have a question about a Colt SAA that you are listing, this is the place to ask. Lots of experts here.

·
Registered
357 Posts
From what I have read, the Jager revolvers had a sequential numerical serial number. How did this frame, if it is Jager as mentioned, end up with an “SA” serial number? Hijinks are afoot?
Hijinks were definitely afoot. Someone was trying to fake a Colt. I don't think it was the Gunbroker seller who faked it, though. His other Colts are genuine. Regardless, he's addressed the issue appropriately. I just hope he wasn't stung too badly by the guy he bought it from to begin with.

·
Premium Member
20,196 Posts
Colt did not ever (to my knowledge) use a flat-top 3 in their serial numbers. This gun has a flat-top 3.

·
Registered
357 Posts
That's because it very likely isn't the original serial number, meaning that someone not only perpetrated a fraud with that fake, but a federal felony as well.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Its a Jager frame. I say that with absolute certitude and expertise. This article is mine. Armi Jager Dakota Single Actions

The other thing I'm interested in are Great Western revolvers, and me and my collecting fraternity there spotted a fake Great Western done up as a "Gunsmoke prop gun" in the last couple years. It was also a restamped Jager.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts