Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Odd request: need article on \"Occult\" Colt

About 15 or 20 years ago, a very custom Detective Special - dressed up with ebony grips and vampire-motif engraving in a coffin case - made the rounds of the gun magazines. It was featured in at least 2 different articles that I saw, and made the cover of at least one of the magazines - possibly "Guns."

I am in need of a copy of that article (a color scan would be perfect.) Does anyone remember the article, and perhaps have a copy?

Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Re: Odd request: need article on \"Occult\" Colt

Hi Grant, I remember the gun you're asking about. I think I've seen two articles on it over the years. Originally saw it in "Guns" magazine around 1988 or `89. I'll dig through my stuff and see if I still have it. May take a while though. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

·
Registered
778 Posts

Gee A1A, in your own way, you are just about another Mr. D., from an information point of view. You should have five stars. It is amazing to me how you come up with the answers so quickly.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Re: Odd request: need article on \

Dr, D has a lot of information in his head. I go looking for it. Information research was a big part of my main career and I guess I still like the challenge. My involvements have been so scattered that I tend to remember the existence of information rather than the specifics many times, like posts on the forum. Too many topics and not enough brain cells.:cool:

·
Registered
39 Posts

Holy Cr%p! Guess this means I don't have to dig through my "junk" as my wife calls it. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Fast and accurate! At least I was within a year or two of when that article was printed. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

·
Registered
1 Posts

I am a first time poster here but a long time reader.
I think I finally have something to post that someone might have a use for.
In April 1998 Guns and Ammo there is an article on Dracula's DA.
Enclosed is a scan of that article, I hope it helps.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

Thanks Runt. What a strange gun. Beautiful job on the engraving.
Seems to me like the perfect BBQ gun to carry to a halloween party.

·
Registered
6,956 Posts

Looks like quality work. I especially like what they did with the stocks / laynard loop.

Welcome to the forum Runt. Thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
400 Posts

Now that I see the article I remember that handgun. I wonder whatever happened to it?

dave

·
Registered
208 Posts

The articles quotes the engraver as stating the gun was ordered by a "Dr. Abraham van Helsing." Interesting since Professor Abraham Van Helsing is a fictional character in Bram Stoker's novel, Dracula. There has to be a good story there somewhere!

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

I agree. It would be interesting to find out who ordered this gun. That sort of quality work is not cheap!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Thanks to all for the help! The article Runt posted is the "other" one I remembered, though I didn't recall the time span between the two - longer than I thought.

Since the subject was broached, Leonard Francolini did the engraving. Since he was working at Colt at the time it was made, I would like to know who/how it came to be commissioned; sadly, neither article gives that information.

I too would like to know where it is now...

·
Registered
329 Posts

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

WOW, I'm STUNNED! I just met Mr.Francolini at the all colt show. What a strange turn of events! We chatted for several minutes. Wonderful guy! patiently answered all of my questions, and even gave me a recommendation for a book I could get if I wanted to learn more about engraving. I've seen his work close up and it's absolutely beautiful. I didn't ask him about prices because artistry like his simply costs much more than I can afford.

·
Registered
329 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
WOW, I'm STUNNED! I just met Mr.Francolini at the all colt show. What a strange turn of events! We chatted for several minutes. Wonderful guy! patiently answered all of my questions, and even gave me a recommendation for a book I could get if I wanted to learn more about engraving. I've seen his work close up and it's absolutely beautiful. I didn't ask him about prices because artistry like his simply costs much more than I can afford.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Dframe -Could I ask what was the book he mentioned ?
I just recentely picked up the book -"Steel Canvas".Thanks

·
Registered
329 Posts

This amamzing engraver answered my email ............

It was sold at auction a few years ago (Butterfield & Butterfield). I
heard that Petersen the publisher of Guns & Ammo bought it

·
Registered
177 Posts

What's going on inside the barrel of that gun? It looks like something is covering the rifling at the crown.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts

Don't mean to change the topic, but I was wondering if a person is breaking any copyright laws by posting (publishing) the actual picture from a magazine etc.????

Very nice scan by the way!! You guys are great in digging stuff up.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts