Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not long ago I purchased what I thought was a Officers Match Target revolver in .38 SPL.

It has adjustable sights, 6" barrel and beautifully grained grips (unfortunately the cyl seems to rotate in the wrong direction... it moves clock wise... which seems backward.....)

Now the odd thing... I looked up the S/N of the gun Wilson's book, and the gun is in the Army Special range apparently made in 1911.

Were match revolvers made in this series? Or is it likely this gun has been modified... there are no indications this gun has had modification.

Thanks

Chuck

·
Registered
97 Posts
If the s/n is in the range 31xxxx or 32xxxx you may have an Officers Model Target, second issue.

Bob

[This message has been edited by bfoster (edited 09-22-2003).]

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it is in the 31xxx range...
Thanks very much for the info.

Would anyone have an estimate of the value of the gun? I may have gotten a deal on it...

Thanks

Chuck

·
Registered
97 Posts
I assume you simply ommitted an "x" in reporting the s/n.

Value is a function of the condition of the revolver. Assuming that it has all original parts including the correct stocks it would be worth between $200 & 900.

If the gun has been refinished it is of little interest to collectors: it is a shooter. If in good condition, $300 to 400 is about what these bring (in average condition, and excepting those that are priced too high to readily sell) at retail in central Ohio.

Bob

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stocks are original, with first growth heavily grained wallnut wood. All parts are original as well. I'd say it is a 90%+ gun...

It is also a wonderful shooter...super accurate.

So maybe somewhere in the $600-700 range?

Thanks

Chuck

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bfoster:
I assume you simply ommitted an "x" in reporting the s/n.

Value is a function of the condition of the revolver. Assuming that it has all original parts including the correct stocks it would be worth between $200 & 900.

If the gun has been refinished it is of little interest to collectors: it is a shooter. If in good condition, $300 to 400 is about what these bring (in average condition, and excepting those that are priced too high to readily sell) at retail in central Ohio.

Bob
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
97 Posts
Per the Blue Book, 90% OMT's, second series, run about $525.

But I think that you'll find that most collectors don't put much stock by this publication where D.A. target revolvers are concerned.

For instance, second issue OMT's are relatively easy to find in 98% + condition, first issue OMT's are very tough to find in even 90% condition. The Blue Book shows a minimal premium, but I know several collectors that would part with double the price listed for a really nice first issue OMT. In the last year, 99% + condition NST's have brought about $4000, almost half again what the Blue Book lists them for.

Regards,

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts