Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An old friend's son wants to sell the Officers Model Target (.22) his father gave him. Serial number is 82xx, which looks like 1933 on Proofhouse.com. My recollection is that the cylinder bores are not recessed but could be wrong about that. Bluing is in good shape - no rust IIRC but there may be a few spots of discoloration. Grips look original and very good shape. The one catch is that my buddy got a wild hair and jeweled the sides of the hammer. Don't ask me why.

Someone has told the young man he should ask $1,200 and hope to get $1,000. I'm thinking that's a bit high but am looking for input from you all. If I could get a range from 95% down to slight freckling 90%, that would help a lot.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I recently passed on one as described at LGS priced at $650. It sold in about three weeks.

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
Only the first-year (1930) guns lacked the recessed chambers. The quality of the guns and their relative scarcity should make them worth $1,000, but many can be found for less. In my opinion, the one LEO918 describes was a bargain.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Judge. I ended up paying the young man $980 cash F.O.B. I wouldn't have bid that high on GunBroker but I avoided all transaction costs. Plus he clearly needed a helping hand (parental health issues).

Condition is 90-95%. Blueing on frame is great. Grips about perfect for 80 years old. Just a touch of freckling on the barrel. Distinct holster wear on the muzzle though, and wear plus small scratches on the cylinder. Timing, lockup and trigger pull are perfect (and yes I used snap caps). Plus its a perfect match for my Officers Model 38. Couldn't resist the pun... sorry.

Photos to follow.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Only the first-year (1930) guns lacked the recessed chambers. The quality of the guns and their relative scarcity should make them worth $1,000, but many can be found for less. In my opinion, the one LEO918 describes was a bargain.
I have a 6" Officers Model in .22 LR that the S/N puts at 1931 (64xx) that doesn't have recessed chambers. It has a windage adjustable rear sight secured with one screw, and a brass bead front sight secured with two screws.

This gun is 98% other than the stocks which have shrunk a bit over the years and 1 panel has 2 very small chips at the heal.

My fathers records indicate there is a factory letter for this piece but I can't put my hands on it at the moment, if it exists.

Were ivory stocks a factory option? These have the silver Colt medallion.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Pics as promised.

Here's my Officers Model 38 (1937) which has been waiting for its older brother for a long time:

That gun has a Tyler T-Grip on it as well now, so I really ought to take a pic of them together...

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts