Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Offer that won\'t offend the seller?

I'm looking a 95% Marshal that has been offered for sale for over 4 months now. He now will accept an offer. He's priced at $800 and that's blue book value. What would be a fair offer that won't offend the seller?

I want to hear from you guys that sell used guns. Is 20% off fair? 30%??

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Re: Offer that won\'t offend the seller?

Since the price already sounds fair and at market, anything less will be a real bargain. All "horse traders" have a philosophy on offers. Some make very low offers and come up, others are more realistic in the first offer, figuring a low offer might offend and cause the seller to "bull up" and either withdraw the sale, or refuse to accept an offer that otherwise might have been accepted. You will probably get as many theories as there are memebers here willing to answer an unanswerable question such as this.

·
Administrator
7,049 Posts

Offer what you're willing to pay . He'll say yes or no .

I personally don't appreciate the back and forth offers/banter . My time is valuable . Tell me what it's worth to you . It's a simple procedure .

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I should have mentioned that no one knows what the gun is worth. They are typically of rare and unusual variation. Nothing like it has sold to compare pricing and it's not in the blue book. It may be in the blue book but maybe it was a refinish. Would letter as blue but currently in nickel. Yet it does not look like a refinish with sharp stamping and such. Nickel increases the value....say 50%. The gun doesn't have a Colt letter. I can't see that a unlettered gun can bring the 50% premium AND a refinish would knock the price lower than the blued pricing.

These are the guns that get me excited and yes, the waters are very choppy.

·
Registered
60 Posts

I enjoy negotiations. Sometimes the "foreplay" is more fun than the actual purchase. However, not everyone feels like me. I've gotten some downright insulting comments from people over simple questions. I don't understand how some people can get so uptight over such things, but thaqt's the way it is. When I used to go to flea markets, several sellers commented they preferred my approach of asking, "Will you take....?" as opposed to, "I'll give you....". Make an offer you can live with, and see what he says. Sometimes, I'll tell the person that I'm not trying to insult them, and hope thay take no offense by my offer, and that I'm just trying to negotiate a deal we both can live with. If, after all that, the seller takes offense, maybe it's best to just "walk away" from the deal. Just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts

Adding facts after the question is posed usually will change answers already given and wastes the time of those who answered before the question was changed.

Unlike a Python of 1956 in nickel, which finish was not available at that time, Marshal revolvers were offered in nickel, so the gun could be original. The value therefore depends on whether the finish is original. I would not buy it without a guarantee that it would letter as factory finish. I would suggest an escrow agreement or the like, based on it lettering and not being refinished.

·
Administrator
7,049 Posts

At a minimum , get a 3 day return privilege . Then get a professional opinion as to it's original finish/condition .

·
Registered
47 Posts

I always try to keep up to date with current prices via Gun List, Gun Broker, Auction Arms, live auctions, and gun shows, so when a good deal comes up I can jump on it and avoid a bad deal outright. I always try to get the best deal I can, but I've also paid a premium for things I've "just go to have", realizing it when that's the case.

That said, my approach is to ask the seller if they can do any better on the price. They usually can, but this approach probably costs me a few dollars. My wife, a trained and experienced negotiator, always makes an offer with "will you take...". Sometimes, her approach is rejected, but if her offer is reasonable, it either works outright or elicits a counter-offer. A "reasonable" amount is based on my research and knowledge as above.

Only once or twice has this offended anyone for reasons I don't understand, and I just don't do business with them again.

·
Registered
72 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
I enjoy negotiations. Sometimes the "foreplay" is more fun than the actual purchase. However, not everyone feels like me. I've gotten some downright insulting comments from people over simple questions. I don't understand how some people can get so uptight over such things, but thaqt's the way it is. When I used to go to flea markets, several sellers commented they preferred my approach of asking, "Will you take....?" as opposed to, "I'll give you....". Make an offer you can live with, and see what he says. Sometimes, I'll tell the person that I'm not trying to insult them, and hope thay take no offense by my offer, and that I'm just trying to negotiate a deal we both can live with. If, after all that, the seller takes offense, maybe it's best to just "walk away" from the deal. Just my two cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

My sentiments to the word.

I learned the art of negotiation from the Master (my Mother). To my way of thinking, knowing I got a good deal makes the purchase just that much more sweet.

Another thing to keep in mind (when making a personal buy) is that a good deal (IMHO) is subjective. By that I mean what YOU think is a good deal.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
778 Posts

Blue book value is usually somewhat low. I would be surprised of he budges on the price. Sounds fairly rare, and he may know it. Good luck.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Sometimes I put the deal back on the shoulders of the seller.I 've been surprised more than once with saying"What's the best you can do?" The seller is usually less defensive,figures it is a one shot non haggling,no BS deal.I take the deal or I don't-I don't insult him with a counter offer,(or grumble or make a face) to what he says is his best.

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts

This topic got resurrected so I'll add to it this time. A very good friend of mine who bought and sold many many mostly older (militaria) firearms and related items over the years had an approach as a seller. When asked "How much?" or "What do you want?", he would reply "Do you want my best price or my haggle price?" Think about it. Perhaps that would be a good approach as a buyer. "Is that your best price or your haggle price?" It's pretty non-confrontational but carries a message. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1 - 12 of 12 Posts