Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was offered the pictured woodsman. Any assistance on what to look for? A forum look up indicates 1936 build (early 100k). Safe to shoot hv 22lr? Appears to be in 90-95% condition except for some verdigris on the grip where it was left in the holster. I think it will wipe off. No box. Regards
313442EA-9F77-41DE-BEA0-7EF25BB041F6.jpeg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks great, nice opportunity! I have a 2nd series Woodsman Match Target and I shoot CCI standard velocity (1070 fps?). Slide functions perfectly so why step up to HV at 1235 fps?
No reason, I just know some were only made for std velocity. Just thought I would ask. If I buy it will probably not shoot it much and if I do I’ll probably shoot std vel because I have lots of it. Thank you for the comment

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
If I remember correctly, there is a square on the back of the mainspring housing that will have either straight horizontal lines or be cross hatched. The ones with the straight lines are (I think) made for std vel only while the cross hatched ones are made for HV. A steady diet of HV in a Std vel gun can cause the mainspring housing to break and allow the slide to run free!

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
If I remember correctly, there is a square on the back of the mainspring housing that will have either straight horizontal lines or be cross hatched. The ones with the straight lines are (I think) made for std vel only while the cross hatched ones are made for HV. A steady diet of HV in a Std vel gun can cause the mainspring housing to break and allow the slide to run free!
It's the other way around, the checkered housing is the standard velocity, the straight lines are rated for high velocity.
question 10

WW2 MT which has the "high velocity" mainspring housing:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unfortunately I don’t have many colts but that’s what make the forum great. There are so many knowledgeable people willing to help those that don’t know and those that sometimes forget more than some will ever know.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Forget what the Blue Book says. The vintage Heiser holster is worth around $75 and spare mag another $100. The Woodsman looks to be in excellent shape. If it were mine I wouldn't take less than $1200 for the package.
If you want it, offer $1000 and don't feel like either of you have been ripped off.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
That's a nice find, and a gun you will really enjoy shooting. Have fun with it.
By the way, that Heiser holster is collectable on it's own. It looks to be in good condition and is probably worth a least $100. on it's own.
the guys in the leather section could probably tell you about it.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Collectability of the holster, the papers, the spare magazines notwithstanding - why not just ask the guy what he'd want for it?

He's already done some looking of his own, so this is a test, and the 'right answer' will be whatever exceeds his own research - maybe.

The 'Blue Book' is a waste of time, and most Public Libraries have a copy, as do all Barnes & Nobles - better to check the 'sold' part of gunbroker to see what the current market actually and consistently pays.

Good Luck!

And incidentally - 'high speed' ammunition doesn't mean 'hyper-velocity', and you'll do very nicely with standard velocity rounds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The woodsman was was of my favorites growing up. Natural point, quick and clean shooter. Reliable. A nice Woodsman or Huntsman is on my wish list.

·
Registered
81 Posts
A Real Nice package...Grab It !!

Safe to shoot high velocity .22lr ?....Yea ...as long as it's in good working order and lubed.

How much to you is the question...!?

No, high velocity is NOT OK. These Colts and the High Standards of the same era were designed for Standard Velocity ( below about 1100 FPS ) since high velocity did not exist at the time they were manufactured. Research on the internet ( Bob Rayburn and Sam Lisker for Colt Autos and John Stimson for High Standard. ) Also as stated above, the grip is marked with a checkerboard or a straight line pattern, Regardless of the pattern, the experts in the know strongly recommend only standard velocity. The return spring and the slide tend to fail with use of high velocity. Nice Woodsman. I have all series of the Woodsman pistols, including the Match Targets, and the PreWoodsman.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts