Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
offical police grips circa 1950\'s, and 60\'s

greetings require some info on colt production service grips for the colt offical police , i have recently purchased two used sets , on the back of each set they have a milled out recess indentation ( in the center of the grip)that covers about 80-85% of the grip leaving a ledge of wood around the edge the grip , wish i had a ditigal camera , please advise rj

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Re: offical police grips circa 1950\'s, and 60\'s

Yup,rj I know what you mean. I have seen a couple of pairs with this ledge,and they also will have the blued screws and no escutcheon on the screwhead side(the screw head is the escutcheon). They also have the medallion pushed through with the rivet on the back fully showing,as versus the prewar,and early postwar Colt wood grips with "3 holes" on the back. I don't have any guns wearing them as "factory",so I would date them as later 50's and 60's. As long as they are wood,I think they are factory. I have several pairs of brown plastic grips,with "silver" Colt medallions,that while unmarked,I think were Jay Scott replacements. They are basically "hollow" inside,and I have them as "shooting grips" on several New Services and E frames,so as not to harm the original factory numbered stocks. Frankly,I think they look a helluva lot better than the factory "coltwood stocks" in the 1946-53 era! I also think these "ledge stocks" were supplied for the D frames in the 60's as I have a left hand one only in my "junk draw". Hope this helps. Bud

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

thats the bad boys , but , now for the ultimate question , i require grips for the follow :
1) 1953 vintage offical police NYPD two-tone
2) 1957 vintage colt .357
3) 1961 vintage colt .357 FHP

are these the type used or should the grips i need have flat backs , i have a odd pair of E/I frame round butt with nickel furniture that has a flat back, please advise rj

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

1952 SHOULD be the last for plastic Coltwood,but who knows?(maybe vivas, who deals in these ex-NYPD pieces?) My guess would be "flat". The 57 should be the ledge ones,and i think i mentioned once,that FHPs had 1957 "target stocks" as found on the Trooper"(but some cops who carried em' concealed or had a preference used service stocks). I have both for my FHP(but neither are original to it). Interesting about your rounded butt factory stocks with nickle screw/escutcheons. My 4" Marshall, and 2" O.Police both have round butts with the blue screws(and are flat on the back). They did make some "special order" O.P.s with rounded butts just prior to the war,so maybe they are from one of these. Bud

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

hi bud , the op round butt are diffently post war with the little silver horsie medalions , , i just have not seen these style grips before well thats colt as soon as you figure whats what they change something !!

·
Registered
254 Posts

I am looking at an offical police for sale, it is from 1956 and has the flat grips, they are serial numbered to gun so are orginal

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

mr kennedy, if you purchase can you post pictures ??/ rj

1 - 9 of 9 Posts