Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a offical police 38spl.ex-police gun.It is in real good shape,the only problem is it does not have the original stocks on it.It came with a set of SILES on it that fit/feel/look great,I just like factory grips on my guns.I have tryed to order the right stocks for it and I get the wrong ones each time.My gun has a round looking butt and the stocks they send are always square.Does anyone know a source for the right ones? THANKS, JEFF

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
Re: OFFICIAL POLICE HELP NEEDED.

This is going to be TOUGH.
The round butt Official Police was a special order item, and not that many were made.

Chances of finding a pair of original round butt grips is going to be really hard to do, especially since the "correct" medallions would have been Silver colored.

Here's the choices:

1. Watch Ebay for a pair to hopefully appear, and hope the seller isn't actually selling a set of Detective Special grips he THINKS are for an Official Police.

2. Modify a set of square butt grips by filing and sanding, then have them re-checkered to "clean-up" the sanded area.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
the wheel nailed it, finding a nice pr. of e-frame rnd butt stocks will be tough. i HAVE a pr. of correct factory stocks but they are from a l.e. gun and show the normal wear you would expect on a cop gun.

·
Registered
400 Posts
The Sportsmans Guide has Colt Round Butt Stocks to fit D frame revolvers. They are used old stocks. But they only want $19.97 for them. I thought about ordering a pair for myself for my Official Police because my round butt stocks are worn smooth on one side. But since it is an NYPD retired gun, I think that the degree of holster wear shown is in character with the rest of the revolver in my case.

Dave

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
The Sportsmans Guide has Colt Round Butt Stocks to fit D frame revolvers.. I thought about ordering a pair for myself for my Official Police because my round butt stocks are worn smooth on one side.

Dave

[/ QUOTE ] dave,the official police revolver is built on the e-frame. d-frame stocks will not fit it. the d-frame`s butt was rounded in 1933 and r/b was the standard production stock. the e-frame was special order only for rnd butt and is quite scarce. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif colt stocks can be confusing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THANKS, for all the info.This explains why I was having so much trouble finding what I was wanting.Will the RB effect the value any?The sn. 86008x,is it in the right range for the RB?This is a LE trade in gun from when most cops went to 9mm's.My gun guy was buying them 10 at a time,and out of the fifty plus he sold this was the only COLT in the bunch.The rest were all mod. 10 S&W's,so he kept this one for his self.Years later after that I came in and asked about some revolvers,he remembered he had it.It also has a no.11 stamped above the trigger on the frame.no.11 is also elec. penned on the bottom rear of the butt.Some kind of rack no.s I guess....WELL I can look at the stock problem like I do when I have a non matching S&W grip,good excuse to buy some nice expensive real fancy ones!!!

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Will the RB effect the value any?The sn. 86008x,is it in the right range for the RB?

[/ QUOTE ] yes the rnd butt is a premium, your serial is very close to the marshal serials m83xxxx -84xxxx as are all rnd butt guns i have seen. i think nyc pd bought a large # of round butt o/p`s around that time.your gun was made in 1957, a very good year. the year i was born. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
400 Posts
Icdux, thanks for setting me straight. I had the frames mixed up again. Good thing I didn't order a set for my E frame Official Police. Also a darn good thing you set me straight before anyone listened to my dumb butt.

Dave /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
no problem dave,they are confusing /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif i have learned by the MANY mistakes i have made, and i still have a ways to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts