Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ran across a offical police, it has a 4 in heavy barrel, plastic checkerd stocks, and a dull matt blue finish, does this sound like the real thing? He wants $300 for it. I pulled the hammer back slowly on 2 cylinders and had to nudge the cylinder into lock up, is this ok?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,807 Posts
Here's some potential problems with this one:
First, $300.00 is high for an OP, even one with a heavy barrel.

Colt used plastic grips only on the early 1950's and 60's guns, so if it's from that era that's OK, but they may have been replaced.

A "dull matte" finish is WRONG. Colt's were always finished with a glossy blue. It's likely a re-finish, and that's too much for a re-blued gun.

As for nudging the cylinder, the gun is out of time. Since it's only on two chambers, it's very possible, if not likely there's something rather serious wrong.
If all the chambers were out, it would indicate just wear, but when you've got this situation, it's usually a sign of something else.

All taken into account....pass on this one.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Greetings, Mr. Kennedy and welcome! I'm afraid I agree with dfaris, but ... I just like the OP's and the 4" heavy barrel isn't something you run across every day. If it was me, I'd try and get him down about $100 but I'd still want the gun. The finish can be rejuvenated with some Semichrome, an old undershirt and some elbow grease while you watch John Wayne! The plastic grips make me upset, however. I just can't believe they did that. If that would have happended in my day, I'd've bought an S&W, just for the wood. That's a crappy thing to do to a man spending bucks for a gun. Even worse on the beautiful .22 target jobs. But, for a heavy OP, I'd be writing a check and risking hostilities on the home front. Oh yes, if you get it - I'd suggest trying to find a pair of the, "checkered all the way up," Python grips OR a Pachmayr/Tyler, "T," grip adapter. If you haven't tried one of those on an OP, I think you'd like it.

·
Registered
794 Posts
With all due respect you were given some misinformation on the plastic grips.

This type of plastic grip is know as Coltwood. You will find that they were used on post war guns as early as 1947 on the Official Police. I know for a fact this is true as my 1947 OP with original box states so.

I don't believe they used Coltwood grips on the Official Police into the 1960s. Coltwood was actually used on the Official Police only through the mid 50's.

If you are concerned that it is a piece together gun, then post the S/N & the markings on the barrel including the patent dates and someone on this forum can look it up to see if something is amiss.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The "plastic "Coltwood" stocks First appeared on the World War 2 Commandos, a parkerized O.P. for the military. Like the S&W Victory model,they are highly sought by collectors of Colts & Militaria. ALL Colt revolvers,as was mentioned,used them after the war,including the Officers Model,that as rcwambold said,looked bad. The originals go for plenty en eBay.Colt even turned out some plastic grips for the few New Services they "assembled" after the war,but the "medallions" were silver color. On the "Heavy Barrel FOUR inch Official Police,did it say "Official Police, Kennedy? I ask this,because the super rare "Border Patrol"model was supposedly built on the smaller Police Positive frame,yet weighed 35 ounces!Since a 4 inch Police Positive goes 23 ounces,this mustve been a helluva "heavy barrel? Besides,the photo of one(only one Ive seen) shows the Official Police size frame. My 4" .22 cal Trooper,original,not the Mk.III,only goes 37 ounces,but a great practice piece for the similar .357 model, They only made 400 of these Border Patrols,in 1952,to replace/supplant their issue .38 Special 4 inch New Services,and few of either gun have surfaced in "private hands".Like to hear more about that Heavy Barrel O.P. They made a 6 inch H.Barrel,but its not a "bull barrel",that has No taper. Bud

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It said "offical police heavy barrel" on the barrel, and you could tell the stocks were the plastic type, I will get ser number and post to find out DOB, I need to look at it closer to see if it has been refinished, which I think it has, as he had a S&W mod 19 with it that had the deep blue finish I expect the OP to have and side by side you could tell the differance.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Kennedy-Dont look for "that deep blue finish" on Most Colts made after World War ONE!Ok,Pythons,and some SAAs w/Royal Blue. The pre W.W.One guns had the fire blue screws & were unreal in finish. Colts tend to be "less shiny" than later S&Ws,unless the S&Ws had the "satin blue". Its not as easy as people say to tell a reblue if its been done correctly,especially one done years ago with a little wear & tear. Bud

1 - 7 of 7 Posts