Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past week,I purchased an O.P. in .38 special from a pawn shop.According to my information,it was made in 1929,(serial # 5506xx).Below the ser. #, there is an "A".Does anyone know what this indicates?Finish is maybe 75% but all edges are well defined.It had Pachmayrson it,but I found some original wood grips for it at a gun show yesterday.They are in about the same condition as the revolver.Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
maxbnc; the "A" in the crane recess.by the serial number is the final assemblers/inspectors stamp. So if gun left the factory with any problems,inspector/assembler "A" would get the blame.

Bud

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do appreciate both of you gents answer.
With the grips the total amount in it is $205.00,but the age of it just blew my mind.
Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone think that a load of 3 grains of Bullseye behind a 158 grain SWC would be too much for this old girl to handle?
It locks up tight, and I see nothing that tells me it might be unsafe.
Also, I have seen photos of OP's with wooden checkered Colt grips, that have a brass insert around the screw hole in them.
Would this correct for this gun?
The grips I have do not have the inserts in them.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Maxb

·
Registered
80 Posts
3 grains of Bullseye or WW231 is a moderate load that shoud be safe in an older .38 Special such as your O.P.

I shoot my 4" O.P. with 4.5 gr. of Unique and a 158 gr. cast SWC. In my gun that is an accurate load.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Ditto on the 4.5 Unique/158 gr. lead being a safe good,load in an older O.P. I have pushed my pre wars to 950 fps, and 1950's versions to 1000 fps with 158 gr. a few times,with no ill effects. The 1930's and later O.P.s.and in fact the D and E frames were rated for the 38/44 Hi Speed Loads,at least this is what the Colt catalogs said.

This grand old loading was about the same velocity(1200 fps) as the ACTUAL velocity from most factory .357 Mags sold today. It is a handloaders delight,but I only use it in N frame S&Ws,a 1956 SAA,some New Services,and some .357 magnum guns.

Bud

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 3 grains of Bullseye load was fine.
But considering the age of this revolver, I do not expect to shoot it much.
When I hold it in my hand, my mind begins to wonder what sort of tales this old gun could tell!
Perhaps I'll just put up for the next generation to savor.
Thanks for your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts