Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new to the forum, so I hope I’m not rehashing old ground. I’ve got a question concerning the hammer change on the Officer’s Model Match 5th series. Most publications say that Colt introduced the wide hammer spur on this model. However, I just purchased one in pristine condition, serial #935xxx, with a narrow hammer spur similar to that used on its predecessor, the Officer’s Model Special. I’ve seen photos online of this model with the narrow hammer, but have been unable to find anything indicating whether it is correct and, if so, when the narrow hammer spur was used. Can any of you Colt experts tell me whether my gun is correct and when it was made?

· Registered
13,164 Posts
First...welcome. By the serial number you gave your revolver is from towards the end of OMM production...around 1966-1967 or so. Is it a .22LR or .38 Special? They use different hammers.

It's possible the hammer has been replaced but my guess would be that since its from nearly the end of E-frame production and sales were winding down due to the costs of producing them, high retail prices and corporate indifference on the part of Colt Industries (parent corporation of the Firearms Division) during that time period (they were very busy building M16 rifles and pretty much forgetful of consumer products) that they used whatever was available at the time.

Photos would help to give an idea whether the revolver has been refinished and/or a hammer replacement was done.

· *** ColtForum MVP ***
17,121 Posts
I suspect that your Officer's Model Match Target hammer was switched out by a previous owner before he passed the gun on.
This is not uncommon because people owned another Colt model and wanted a Target hammer for it, or they wanted to sell the valuable Target hammer.

I say this because I owned a very late production OMM and it had the standard OMM Target hammer.
I've never seen an OMM with any other hammer that was factory original.

The hammers were the same in the .22 and .38 models, only the actual firing pin was different.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The colt website does not show my serial number for the Officer’s Model Match. Although I am not a Colt expert, I have extensive experience with firearms and I can say with certainty that it has not been reblued. I’m wondering if it might be an early production with a hammer left over from the Officer’s Model Special. The action is so smooth and the condition so pristine it’s hard for me to believe the hammer is not original.

· Registered
2,945 Posts
I have a .38 OMM with a serial number in the high 912,000 range. I get 1956 as the year of manufacture from various sources although I have not lettered it. It has the wide spur hammer.

Lexi, a few photos would help. Also, what type of stocks does your gun have ? Mine has the fully checkered Target Stocks which were used up until around 1962.

· *** ColtForum MVP ***
17,121 Posts
Colt serial numbers during that period are very confusing.
Often Colt .38 models are listed in one listing ,and .22 models listed in another.

935XXX was made in 1967 or 1968.
So, there was still a year to run on OMM production and I doubt that any were produced at that time with other then the standard Target hammer.

Where things can get murky is if there's a chance your Colt was rebarreled with the barrel for a different model.
As example, all Colt barrels used the same threads, so it's at least possible someone installed an Officer's Model Match barrel on a Colt Trooper frame.
The original Trooper was made in both .38 Special and .22LR. The only difference between these and the OMM is the barrel.
Since the frames were exactly the same it could be difficult to determine exactly what you have.

However, assuming you do have an Officer's Model Match, my bet would be that someone switched the Target hammer for a Service hammer.
Again, it's unfortunately common for people to switch out premium model parts like Target hammers and grips for Service parts due to the demand and value for these parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.