Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I picked up a LW Officer model. It had some work done on it and it is a great shooter. One really unique feature was that it had a 'flanged barrel'. Well after doing a bunch of digging I found out this was a package that was available from Wilson Combat. It was known as the SDS package (Stealth Defense System). This was the predecessor for their Stealth model. They were officers guns. I think some had specs of commander length slides w/ officers frames. They had a tapered bell barrel. The bell was part of the barrel. Wilsons still makes guns with this barrel configuration. They had a checkered front strap. They had a fitted beavertail grip safety. Tactical thumb safety. Guide rod was included. Dehorned for carry. Beveled mag well. Night eyes, night sights. The earlier guns had Trijicon night sights installed. Throated barrel. Your choice of gun. Lightweight, steel frame, your choice of finishes.

The Stealth Package was originally offered in the early 90's on the Springfield Compacts, Colt Officers ACP and later the Colt Compacts (Pre-Wilson Made Frames). The Colt Officers ACP and Colt Compacts were originally sold with what I would call "standard recoil spring" and shock buff set-up. Since then things have changed and Wilson is now recommending and selling a 24 lb. replacement spring which is longer than the one originally supplied and stressing not to use a shock buff due to travel and length limitations resulting from the longer length. I've run both set ups without a hitch and I've found that both work well. However, the later spring set up with the longer spring and no shock buff makes locking open the slide somewhat difficult due to the extra spring length. Assembly has become somewhat interesting too. I trust Wilson to know what is best to use in their custom guns, but can't help but wonder what others may have to say on the matter. I'm speculating that the longer spring would be better suited for 4" barrel stealths like the early Springfield or current Wilson Combat Stealth model.

JczZMcy.jpg
GvmP4aG.jpg

·
Registered
622 Posts
Nice looking Officer's Model ACP..............I've seen that "flanged" barrel design in the past, and never could understand the design,...unless it is to pull the barrel forward with the slide moving forward, to lock higher on the lug for a better lockup?.......I now think that was the intended goal!
I also own an Officers ACP, but w/a steel receiver........it was a great carry gun "back in the day' but has been eclipsed by smaller lighter 9's and 40's, now.............
I now carry a Sig P-938 just to look slimmer for the ladies.........LOL!................Yeah, my size 32/33 501's are still comfortable.

Still, .................That's a very nice vintage pistol .............

Thanks for sharing...........I like it.

Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts