Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMM 38 and 22 with Herrett's custom target revolver stocks. Dee at Herrett's does fine work, checkering by Sherry Abraham (checkering.com). The pics don't do justice to the walnut. Great shooters, and with the fine fitting stocks I have one less excuse for not putting every round in the 10 ring.

[This message has been edited by SEBCo (edited 01-22-2005).]

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,889 Posts
Absolutely gorgeous.

Believe it or not, there was a time when it was considered "cool" for police officers to use that type of target stock on a DUTY gun.

This was in the days before the wide availability of popular priced "combat" grips, and in the days when the "in crowd" carried 6" revolvers.

When police departments started to insist on realistic double action practice with full-power ammo, the target stocks faded from sight.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Back about 1975, I was hanging around one of my favorite gunshops in Auburn, Ala (should have been studying!) when a Macon County AL Sheriff's Dept patrol car rolled up. The sheriff and chief deputy came in, wanting to look at grips for the sherrif's Python. Offered him Pachmayers, which he turned his nose up at. Checked through the shop, found some nice figured walnuts; he didn't like those either. Then we found a set of target grips similar to those pictured above. Put them on his 6" Python, he held it up, sighted down the barrel, reloaded and jammed the Colt into his Jordan River Border Patrol holster, paid us and walked out.

As the chief deputy held the door, the sheriff climbed in, banging the grips on the car's centerpost. The chief got behind the wheel and headed off to the southwest, back towards Macon County. The clerk and I just shook our heads, as the money was put in the cash register.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts